CRT Macs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 21st, 2007, 07:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

CRT Macs

Ok, what I am about to ask could be the most dumb question of all time.

A couple of days ago I mentioned to a friend that I had a G3 Mac I was planning to chuck out. Straight away he said that it was a real shame, as the CRT's in most Macs are really well calibrated. This I took with a pinch of salt, as I can't see anything particularly great about the image my G3 Mac produces.

However, afterwards I took a few test images and started to think he might be on to something.

The thought struck me this morning, is there any point in attempting to try and slave the Mac out as a Firewire display device? And is there software that can do it?

Dumb question over.
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Major Player

I use PreDView to monitor my camera. It is a simple application and doesn't use much CPU. I ran it full screen on my 800 MHz PowerBook with no problems. It can also do floating windows and transparent windows. You can also use it for audio.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your message Edward. I tried PreDview, but unfortunately, it does not seem to poll up the mac as a standard screen. The same problem with DV monitor v1.1 demo. Is there any software that will make the Mac show up as a OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 reference monitor, so software like Sony Vegas can detect it? As it stands, Vegas wont send out a signal until it sees a OHCI compliant device and the software will not work until it sees a signal.
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Ahh, I misunderstood. You want to use the iMac as just a monitor to view from another computer. I thought you wanted to monitor from a firewire camera.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software