Field monitor for Sony PMW-EX1? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 25th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Baughman View Post
Rob,

My EX1's shipping out by Monday and I'm trying to put together a quick edit solution. I've got Final Cut 2 on the way and I've got a Mac Pro desktop. I've ordered the intesity pro card as well. Just to be clear, the only monitor you're using is the Benq, or are you using a two monitor setup? Thanks
Sorry I'm just seeing this a month later! Thought I'd subscribed. I'm using two monitors, a Dell as computer monitor (DVI) and the BenQ as video monitor (HDMI). When not editing I can switch the BenQ to DVI and have a large extended desktop.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Nel View Post
Hi Paul,
I do what I described in the blackmagic monitoring thread as "poor man's calibration". I use my "spyder-style" calibration tool which I use with photoshop to get accurate calibration on my computer monitor. Then I set the monitor beside my TV, display two identical images from photoshop (one on the screen and on via the black magic card to the TV) and try and tweak the TV till it looks right.) To my knowledge you cannot load ICC picture profiles into the video capture card the way you can for your graphics card. I wish there was an automated way to calibrate the TV they way I do my monitor for still photography, but I don't know if that exists. If it does I would love to know about it.

...Lou
Lou...

Using the spyder cal tool to set up your TV will lead you astray. The spyder sets up monitor calibrations to represent/display a PRINTED page replica. Adobe calibrates to an RGB range of 0-255. NTSC monitors use a different color/phosphor mapping. Phosphors on a TV display RGB range of 16-235. In that case, the best you can hope for is to match a properly displayed colorbar pattern. Go to wikipedia to find out how to set up colorbar cals on your NTSC monitor.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Bill the Spdyder I used to calibrate my Computer Monitors has an NTSC calibration setting in the options (not sure how good that really does as I've not put it under severe scrutiny), and while I'm sure it's not perfect, I can use my production monitor for really high accuracy, however I think for HD, many folks are probably going to be pretty safe on a fairly well calibrated quality Computer Monitors. Especially considering how many people are watching on LCD TV's and computers these days. It's definitely something you do want to at least make sure you've watched on since so many do, and only more are going to over time.

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #64
Regular Crew

It's obvious from this discussion that the most basic calibration and setup of an HDTV or monitor is not mainstream. It should be.

What real world solutions are there for calibration & setup? Anyone?
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
It's obvious from this discussion that the most basic calibration and setup of an HDTV or monitor is not mainstream. It should be.

What real world solutions are there for calibration & setup? Anyone?
Well, not to be a downer here, but really, if you want a fully reliable and accurate calibrated monitor, you need to just pony up the dough for an HD Production monitor ( and that's not gonna be cheap I guarantee it ). Otherwise it's just a bastardized option ( at least as far as I know, and I'd be happy to be shown wrong here because I'm having to use one of these bastardized options :) ).

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Davidson View Post
...an HD Production monitor...
But can they be easily calibrated? Everyone I've seen still requires third-party software/hardware to calibrate.
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #67
Major Player

Greg and Dennis,
Looking at that Tv Logic LVM-071W it seems pretty impressive. Is it too heavy to mount on arms & rails? And is it good enough for Critical Focus if working with HD?

Thanks guys,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brown View Post
But can they be easily calibrated? Everyone I've seen still requires third-party software/hardware to calibrate.
I just saw this almost a month later... the very short answer is a resounding, "yes!"

All monitors need some external hardware and/or software to calibrate. I am not sure if I am being pedantic here.

You have to set up the monitor using test signals and those have to come from somewhere. Remember the point of calibration is to make sure the image agrees with your other production equipment. You could generate the test signals in the monitor, but that isn't much different than just trusting the factory set up.

Usually in the field for production monitoring I calibrate the monitor using SMPTE bars from the video camera. I think the EX1 can display REC 709 bars.

In the studio I recalibrate the monitor using REC 709 bars generated on my NLE timeline and input to my monitor using my i/o interface.

Extra fun can be had by comparing the bars from the camera and the generated NLE bars on a hardware waveform monitor and calibrated monitor... because there is a good chance they'll be different. Always exciting this video business.

In higher end studios special test signal generators are used.

Other than that professional HD monitors do in fact have the necessary facilities to allow calibration. The one with which I am most familiar is the Sony LMD-2450WHD.

This features a waveform monitor, set up levels for analog signals, blue only mode, and monochrome mode. It also has separate controls for contrast, chroma, phase and brightness.

I hope somewhere along the way there I answered you usefully.
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #69
Inner Circle

Best external monitor

Now that the EX1 has been out a while what have people found to be the best external monitor?

Is it possible to still have peaking on a component hookup?
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #70
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Now that the EX1 has been out a while what have people found to be the best external monitor?

Is it possible to still have peaking on a component hookup?
Unfortunately, peaking and zebra information is not sent to the component output. This is a major oversight, but something we would appreciate in a firmware upgrade. I'd also like to see this information on the composite output as well.

For an external monitor, I've followed the low-budget crowd by using the Sony FX20 portable DVD player driven by a composite video input. I've also use my Sony Bravia 52" LCD TV.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #71
Major Player

Carrion ...

for a real deal check out the carrion.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #72
Major Player

I've tested the Carrion and it is really top notch. Here's an example of a shooter's product actually designed by a shooter. And a much better buy than a comparable Marshall.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #73
Major Player

Has he started shipping the monitor yet?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #74
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Has he started shipping the monitor yet?
Asking if the Carrion monitor can be purchased? Yeah, I've had a Carrion b for a few months ("b" model adds a single HD-SDI in/out to the analog and DVI input options). Don't know what current lead times are like, my order took longer than the estimated 5 weeks to fulfill.

Isn't such a thing as a perfect monitor, but very nice, good price.
Mark Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #75
Inner Circle

The Carrion b monitor really looks nice, but does anyone know a good source in the EU? After having bought my Letus direct from US, I'd like to avoid all the hassle and order locally...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software