Should I get a warranty for and HDTV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 28th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Should I get a warranty for and HDTV?

How good are these things? I have a 32 sharp aquos and the warranty is like $130 for a year or something, I don't remember...
I'm glad I never got a warranty for my apple computer. But I don't know how stable HDTVs are. Are dead pixels etc.. common problems or is this a rip off?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
How good are these things? I have a 32 sharp aquos and the warranty is like $130 for a year or something, I don't remember...
I'm glad I never got a warranty for my apple computer. But I don't know how stable HDTVs are. Are dead pixels etc.. common problems or is this a rip off?
It depends on the specifics, but they are generally a major ripoff. Anything that is likely to go wrong (dead pixels) are specifically not covered. If something *does* go wrong that *is* covered (very rare), you will have to fight tooth and nail to get anything done about it. For very expensive equipment, get real insurance, from a real insurance company.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
It depends on the specifics, but they are generally a major ripoff. Anything that is likely to go wrong (dead pixels) are specifically not covered. If something *does* go wrong that *is* covered (very rare), you will have to fight tooth and nail to get anything done about it. For very expensive equipment, get real insurance, from a real insurance company.
They said dead pixels are covered though. I heard someone had to return their vizio 3 times cause of dead pixels. But I have a sharp, so I don't know how common it is? I have a warranty based on ignorance but they will give me most of my money back if I change my mind. Are these sturdy machines?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Major Player

My folks bought a large Sony TV at Circuit City a few years ago and bought the warranty. A month prior to the end of the extended warranty period it started having color tracking problems. It was determined that the part required for repair was no longer manufactured nor available as a rebuilt component. It took letters to CC HQ and Sony to get performance per the warranty but in the end they prevailed and received a free replacement and a free replacement extended warranty. So, they aren't always a waste of money. Just make sure you understand the terms of the agreement before you buy it.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Consumer Reports currently advises against buying extended warranties on HDTVs (Plasma and LCD). Their survey results have shown a low rate of repair, suggesting that on average the warranties aren't worth it.

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Major Player

thanks, the warranty wasn't even from sharp, it was from best buy... I think I'll get it refunded.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software