HDTV as secondary Vegas display: which card to drive it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Inner Circle

HDTV as secondary Vegas display: which card to drive it?

OK, so I have invested in a Full HDTV plasma, and hung it above my desktop. I'd like to use it as the full screen preview monitor in Vegas. Even though this has been discussed in many threads already, I am still not clear whether it's possible to achieve full fps (or at least much better than in the previe window) while playing the time line in Best/Full preview config. If so, what hardware do I need to invest into? I mean, I'm NOT so much interested in a capturing device as I'm using file approach in acquisition (EX1), but in helping Vegas resample the timeline. Is it viable?

For instance, is it a good idea to invest in the Blackmagic Intensity card? As I understand it, in terms of fps, even these cards cannot play faster from Vegas timeline than the preview window. Just to make sure :)

Also, can it play 1080/25p? In the specs, I can oly see 1080i...

Well, I guess i I still had the V1E with HDMI out, I'd buy the Intensity without hesitation. But with the file based EX1, is it still worth it? Any comments welcome
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:22 AM   #2
Trustee

For preview purposes the Intensity/Intensity Pro card is definitely worth it, and easily the best bang for the buck out there.

You are correct about the fact that you won't get full frame rate preview from Vegas, if you have a bunch of effects on your clip. Preview will still depend on the processor speed of your system, as well as hard drive speed.

I am using Vegas 7/8 (until I am fully up to speed on FCP) on a MAC Pro 2.66 Quad running Bootcamp and Windows XP. And I mainly use the Intensity for preview purposes for color correction only. I can get fairly good frame rates from previewing at Best Full, but still use my preview window for sync accurate video. but if you want an inexpensive way to preview full HD for color grading, then the Intensity will be hard to beat.
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks, Michael!

One more question: will I be able to use the Intensity with software DVD/BD/MPG players, like Nero Showtime, WMP or Power DVD - or will I have to connect my regular ATI card to the HDTV, as well?
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Thanks, Michael!

One more question: will I be able to use the Intensity with software DVD/BD/MPG players, like Nero Showtime, WMP or Power DVD - or will I have to connect my regular ATI card to the HDTV, as well?
I'm not sure on that one. That is really dependent upon the programs ability for external preview.
I do know that I m able to preview from Vegas, DVD Architect, Photoshop, FCP. I don't have a need to preview via the computers DVD software.

That would be a question that maybe you should ask Black Magic about.
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Piotr, i emailed black magic design regarding a similiar question, i wanted to preview my 1080p footage on a hdtv via their intensity card as i was trying to find a cheaper alternative to the mxo. Originally i wrote:

> Hello, im trying to find a solution that will allow me to monitor my sony ex1
> 1080p files from final cut pro 6 in real time to my 40" 1080p hdtv. I have a
> new quad core power mac with 4gb ram and a nice graphics card already in place
> but i want to monitor my video files so i can see it in broadcast resolution
> not the pc resolution id get if i just use the graphics card dvi to hdmi
> conversion.

and heres what they wrote back:

A few things to mention here in regards to your email. First off, none of
our cards will work with the 1080p spec. Our HD line of DeckLink cards and
Multibridges will work with 1080 23.98PsF but not 1080p. Our HD cards will
work fine with 1080i 59.94 and 720p 59.94 however. I will go ahead and
re-log the request for 1080p support
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software