why 30"? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

why 30"?

Hi, I've been told that to edit 1080p footage i will need a monitor thats atleast 30", however the apple cinema display that is 23" says its capable of 1920x1080 so i dont understand, why do i NEED a bigger monitor if apple says the 23" will do the job? Thank you

Also, if the case really is that a 23" display just wont do for 1080p footage, would it be worth forgetting an apple cinema display all together and using a 1080p hdtv capable of 1920x1080 (which at the moment is on offer and cheaper than the apple)
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't think of any reason why you can't edit 1080p footage on a 23" Apple Cinema Display.

What was the reason given why you need a 30" display to edit 1080p?

The only thing is if you are going to film (theater projection) then maybe you will need to go with a large display (or projection) especially to do the DI.
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Major Player

That's the thing, usually i question everything but im talking quite a few people mentioned that you need atleast 30" to edit 1080p comfortably so i assumed there was good reason, but now it doesnt make sence. The only reason i ever got was '30" will give you enough room' but im thinking no matter how big the footage, it should still work fine and i'l see everything. Maybe they were refering to a screen being big enough to make the most out of the high def precision in order to check i filmed the correct focus,colours etc.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Alexander View Post
I've been told that to edit 1080p footage i will need a monitor that's at least 30".
Poppycock. Just sit a little closer to the screen and it will fill the same angle of view.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:28 PM   #5
Major Player

good stuff, thats all i needed to hear :) Thank you
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software