Waveform monitoring/Calibration for standard display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #1

Waveform monitoring/Calibration for standard display

I hope I've posted this in the right forum. My question could also be asked in the post-production forum, but, I'm sure Chris will move it if this isn't right.

For years, I've relied on my HDRACK software from the now defunct SeriousMagic. A recent upgrade to my laptop, and atrocious behavior from Adobe, have resulted in my inability to re-install HDRACK.

Recognizing the limitations of an onboard vectorscope and WFM, especially with a 1394 signal, I've decided to invest in a waveform monitor and vectorscope analyzer. The instrument needs to have component and composite inputs, with YPbPr and RGB capability. I would like to have SDI inputs, but, I'm afraid the cost is prohibitive for me at this level. My EX1 will output component analog and my HD110 natively outputs component analog also.

Question 1: Does a color calibration at the component out level equate to the same at HD-SDI?

Question 2: I can convert digital to component analog. will the conversion distort the color values?

Can anyone recommend a suitable instrument? I'm looking at a Compuvideo SVR-3000A.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #2

wow....50 views and no one can answer?Given that there's not a single broadcast station that doesn't use WFM/vectorscopes, I find this amazing.
We're less than 60 days away from going over to HDTV standardization. What does this mean to chroma/luma specs as differing from NTSC?
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Bill, read this:http://hd-cinema.blogspot.com/2008/0...libration.html

that might help
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #4

Spike...

Thanx for the reference. I'd read this before and it's a good primer on monitor cal for HD. But, it points out the fundamental confusion that exists between player manufacturers, camera makers, and NLE OEM's. The only way I can verify that the entire path is consistent, is with an analog hardware WFM and vectorscope.

Digital Acquisition->Digital Capture->NLE Injest->Special FX software->NLE Export->final format rendering(DVD, BD, VCR, etc)->settop playback->analog display device.
|
->digital display device
There's a whole slew of digital and analog interfaces that don't always work as expected. The ONLY way to validate them is with a WFM/Vectorscope. That's why broadcast stations all use them.

And no one on this forum seems to have a clue about what's available and useable.
Old December 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

monitors

bill
to bad your not on a mac scopebox 2.0 is one hell of piece of software it has a whole lot of ways to monitor your video, far more than dvrack or even onlocation here is the link.

ScopeBox

Shawn

Last edited by Shawn Kessler; December 20th, 2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, the TV station I just left is using a tek 1740a analog wfm/vect with a d>a converter. And, even used, I bet these don't come cheap.

At the test station there is a Harris/DPS SDI scope which I don't even wanna know the $$$.

I've not seen one of those Compuvideo units. But the jump to 'real' test instruments is pretty big.
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:23 AM   #7

thanx shawn...I'll get one of those scopebox do-hickies for my PC. The truth of the matter is that "onboard" WFM's are marginally acceptable. The real need is to measure the signal at the input to the display device, which is usually analog, but can be digital these days.

Andy....
yeah, I know ;o(
which is why I posted the question. hoping someone could recommend a unit that was both affordable and adequate. It would seem, however, that most videographers don't even know what a WFM is, and if they do, they don't know how to use one.
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Scopebox 2.0

Has anyone used this software? If so I was wondering if you can run
this on a G4 with tiger OSX. I wont be using the capture feature just
purely for the scopes and monitoring.

Thanks guys
Shawn
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software