Hvl-lbp at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 31st, 2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Trustee

Hvl-lbp

Guys, anybody can confirm that HVL-LBP work only on sony original batteries, or mine is defective, got one today , brought it home, unit shows battery level, but no light :(
don't have sony original L type battery to check that,
thanks!
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Contributor

It talks to the battery before turning on looking for Sony signature
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:54 AM   #3
Trustee

I thought so,
thanks!
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Major Player

that light will only work with genuine sony 970 series batts.... I used to own one and it will not work on smaller or other brand L's.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witz View Post
.... I used to own one... .
Thanks Chris,
so why you don't use it anymore, what didn't you like about it?
I say that so far I don't really like it, unless I'll be able to find solution to change the color temp to 5600, I might get rid of it too. I like my HVL20DW2 and used to it, it's just dimmer that I wanted and may be a bit more powerful light, I think I saw somewhere gels for it , need to make a search.
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Major Player

I tend to buy things ( especially light.... might have a fetish for them ) and end up with a bunch of different types.... then I get a bug to upgrade a camera and have to dump a bunch of stuff in order to get it. When I went from the z1's to the ex1's I did a big gear unload and the sony light was in that lot of things to go. Now I'm back up to a bunch of lights.... zylight z90, micro led litepanel, a few of the sima 20's..... who knows... I might unload all of them and some mics, follow focus, slider, etc for a RED any day now since it's not back ordered.

I think my favorite small light is the zylight..... but I probably reach for the micro litepanel most of the time because it's just so fricken light and self powered..... both make great obies. I found the sony pretty good.... but top heavy.
Old January 15th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Chris,
but is a micro litepanel powerful enough, cuz I was looking at it, but sales kinda talked me off
so i ended up buying sony light, but you're right it's heavy and I can't find the way to mix it properly with tungsten lights; so you're saying zylight z90, guess I'll take a look,
thanks!
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Major Player

The zylight z90 is pretty heavy as well.... but smaller..... and also will require an external 12v. Where it shines ( pun ) is in the infinite color choices it will provide.

Where the Micro excels in in it's ease of use and light weight.... feather weight. It's bright enough to fill indoors....
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #9
Major Player

LW 1200 Ledlamp 6V/12V

This store in The Netherlands sells a "fake" version of the HVL-LBP. But it simply gives more light, non-original L-series batteries also work because it is not chipped, it comes with a solid case and it even has the possibillity to connect it to an Anton Bauer Tap mount directly from your Sony Camera. In the end it's even a little cheaper as well!
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres View Post
LW 1200 Ledlamp 6V/12V

This store in The Netherlands sells a "fake" version of the HVL-LBP. But it simply gives more light, non-original L-series batteries also work because it is not chipped, it comes with a solid case and it even has the possibility to connect it to an Anton Bauer Tap mount directly from your Sony Camera. In the end it's even a little cheaper as well!
It also seems that it has a 3200k flip down filer which is nice.

Cool find.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem available for us here in the U.S.., as the translated site seems to have deactivated the links on the page.

Shame, as I love my Sony lights, and the only 2 complaints that I have about them, besides the overall size, is the battery )memory) chip problem and no 3200k filter available for them. Although I am able to mount CTO gel on the barn doors to correct this, but I would much rather prefer a flip down filter.

I mean, come on Sony how simple is this?
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Major Player

You can remove the barn doors and the ring around the outside and remove the glass and put a CTO filter in there and make it permanent 3200K, I don't shoot much outdoor with light anyway so it works for me, but a flip down 3200K would be great, I also thought about cutting out the diffuser and put the CTO in there but haven't try that yet.
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
You can remove the barn doors and the ring around the outside and remove the glass and put a CTO filter in there and make it permanent 3200K, I don't shoot much outdoor with light anyway so it works for me, but a flip down 3200K would be great, I also thought about cutting out the diffuser and put the CTO in there but haven't try that yet.
Well I am able to mount CTO gel to the barn doors currently.
I use some PAG C6 barn door filter set that slides onto the barn doors for a decent fit.
I would just rather prefer having a smaller more permanent solution for a 3200K filter.

BTW I noticed that Sony is now selling the HVL-LBPA, which comes with a 3200K Filter.
Sony Product Detail Page - HVLLBPA

I have an email into Armatos (who is selling it) and Sony parts division to see if the 3200K filter set is available for separate purchase.

Sony better not come back and tell me that I have to purchase new lights in order to get the filter. This seems like something that Sony would do though.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
see if the 3200K filter set is available for separate purchase.
would be great, but I'm afraid it's not, anyways, let us know
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software