Ikan V8000HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Trustee

Ikan V8000HD

have a question about Ikan V8000HD to someone who used it or has one,
does it have an option to flip the picture like the camera lcd when you turn it?
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

Just tested the IKANV8000HDMI - yes, you can flip both horizontal and vertical. There are two buttons on the front with arrows. Just press once to flip horizontal and the other to flip vertical. IKAN 8inch LCD at DVcreators.net
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Trustee

thanks Guy,
how's the monitor, would you recommend it, how's HD focusing, I need one for EX1,
thanks again!
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Major Player

I've tested the V8000HD and find it worth the money. Something that is of great concern is the connectors which are soldered to the main board meaning the unit is trashed if your connectors break. It is an adequate enough panel for focusing.

However, I have seen on the boards used Marshall monitors running around $1K. If I had the choice of the V8000HD at $800 or a used Marshall for another $200, I'd go with the Marshall. Now, for double the money... you get what you pay for.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Soltz View Post
you get what you pay for.
Always :)
thanks!
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:33 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
thanks Guy,
how's the monitor, would you recommend it, how's HD focusing, I need one for EX1,
thanks again!
The picture quality of the Marshall and IKAN are similar - it wouldn't surprise me if the screens came from the same source. I'm not an expert on monitors, but they look remarkably similar. I can say that the software/menus on the Marshall are better. So is the build quality of the case and the connectors. I'd say focusing is about the same if you're just looking at the straight picture, while the Marshall is better if you turn on pixel to pixel and peaking - yes, you can have them both on at the same time. So, I'm checking framing with the camera's LCD and focus with the larger display and using the one touch buttons to jump back and fourth between peaking and 1:1.

For an EX1, you have a few options:

IKAN V8000HD B-Stock (usually has 1 tolerable stuck pixel) - great price for a B-Stock
IKAN V8000HD original - Analog component - uses Sony battery
IKAN V8000HDMI - new version with HDMI and analog component - has cool flip feature that the Marshall does not have. Good investment if you plan on getting a camera with HDMI output in the future.

Marshall V-LCD70P-HDA - Analog component - uses a variety of batteries, peaking, 1:1 pixel to pixel, freeze frame capability and better color control. Available today.

Marshall V-LCD70P-HDSDI - Digital and 1 clean BNC cable, not available until Feb.

So, for the price - the IKAN B-stock is the best buy. For an EX1 owner that can wait, I'd go for the Marshall V-LCD70P-HDSDI
Old December 31st, 2008, 08:23 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey Guy thanks for the info,
didn't pay enough attention to your fist answer, got the V8000HD, you're right it's OK monitor
, but doesn't have flip feature, will have to go back to Vistek swap to V8000HDMI,
thanks again!
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #8
New Boot

Ikan V8000HDe and mounting solutions

Ikan now has the V8000HDe as well which has both horizontal and verical flip buttons (No HDMI port). I just got one from B&H for $729. One problem I encountered was that the Ikan box (and website) says it comes with a battery adapter plate, you just select one of the four units available. The battery connection is generic to the adapters, so the adapter would be required to use it (I assumed that it had the Sony mount like the older V8000HD but it has changed). And B&H's website ordering system does not allow for selecting your battery adapter type. So now I have this monitor with no battery connection capability. I called B&H and they are checking with Ikan on this. They said that Ikan may ship me the adapter plate directly. That seemed strange.

The other confusing issue is that B&H's website has some photos of the old monitor on pages for the new monitor, and does not have product details on the new monitor either. Their listing on the new monitor says nothing about the AC cable, battery straps, or mounting post. It seems there is some trouble with marketing this new monitor. I had to call B&H before ordering just to confirm that the thing comes with all the accessories. Unfortunately, the rear pic they showed for the HDe was actually of the HD, which had the Sony battery mount, so I did not think Sony batteries required an adapter plate.

The other problem I found is the mounting post is problematic for me. The connection with my cold shoe was a bit wobbly even without the battary. It may be my shoe, but I could see this snapping off at the shoe or at the 1/4-20 connection at the base of the monitor in a heartbeat. It sits so high on my camera and wobbles slightly as I move the camera. I shoot sports, so any stray soccer ball could destroy the monitor and/or my camera's shoe (the camera too for that matter, but it has not happened yet).

I need a monitor that pans with the camera, because shooting soccer requires pretty much a 180-degree pan to get the whole field and all the action. I initially mounted a 15-inch flat panel Planar PL1520M monitor to the tripod using RAM Mounts, but it did not work well because I could not follow the action and keep the monitor in front of me. I also am limited by electricity on soccer fields, as the Planar does not run on batteries. The RAM mount solution was excellent, and I can still use that in studio with the Planar. That whole setup was $300.

So I am currently looking for a non-shoe mount solution that will place the monitor behind the camera between the two pan arms, panning with the head. I am considering fashioning a 16-inch x 2-inch metal plate which would get clamped on one end between the camera and quick release base from my tripod. The other end would have a 1/4 hole where the monitor is attached. This will place the monitor more out of harms way, be closer to me, and hopefully will be a solid platform with no wobble. I will post a pic when all done.

BTW, I tried the Ikan last night using the AC cable, and I love it. This will allow for much better use of zoom at a soccer game. Now I can't wait to use it with an HD camera.
Kip McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Trustee

Digital juice is having an offer for the HDe8000 at 545 now!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software