Proper HD Monitor Solution Needed - Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Proper HD Monitor Solution Needed - Help!

Hi,

I am going around in circles and can't think straight. Finding a good monitor solution is doing my nut.

I shoot on my EX1. I also shoot on a variety of other cams (up to F900r). I'm training up next week on Red. The main reason I need a monitor is for me to light, frame, compose, focus, properly monitor colour etc and then grade. Not a client/dir monitor.

I have a new iMac and a macbookpro and a Samsung 28" LCD computer monitor. The screen on my EX1 is pretty good. That's 4 screens already acquired (not inc various TV's and a projector).

I have never really been too concerned about colour, vectorscopes etc etc - more framing and lighting and if used at all, a basic SD field monitor hired out has sufficed. Now I'm starting to get more serious and want to shoot properly and as near perfectly as possible. But I don't edit. But I do want to colour correct.

Do I future proof and buy a very expensive Panasonic 8" with all the industry spec to use in the field? And hire in a full 1920 res studio monitor when cam-testing and grading?

Or take the full 1920 out into the field too and only buy 1 monitor that'll do everything, although at some size?

Or use scopebox/OnLocation in the field as my macbook goes out with me anyway and just get a bargain Swit or similar (even a portable DVD option) for framing / focus? (And put the £2K I've saved towards a mattebox and some lights?).

If I do buy a HD monitor how do I connect it to my iMac? Is it a case of selling it and buying a Mac Pro? I would want full HD monitoring.

Help.... Please.

How long do you think a top-notch monitor would last me? Is it like a good tripod head - it will outlast at least 4 cameras? Long term economic sense?

Thanks for any suggestions - and yes, I've read virtually every thread here!

Ash.
Ashley Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #2
New Boot

Thanks for zero suggestions. Oh well. Poor question I guess.

I'm spending some cash on a 17" that's better than a panasonic 1700. Just tested it on a RED One and an EX1. Job done, lovely.
Ashley Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm very happy with the nebtek 7" HD sdi monitor.... I have the model that takes the ex1 batteries on the back... fantastic.

It's one of the brightest out there and works great even in sunlight. Perfect for focusing when using the letus ex as well as being calibratable for critical color and exposure.

I know the price is steep.... but this monitor is built like a tank and now I can't shoot without it.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software