MacBookPro/OnLocation as Monitor for EX1: Is SD same as HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 24th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #1
New Boot

MacBookPro/OnLocation as Monitor for EX1: Is SD same as HD?

This thread concerns:

Apple MacBook Pro 15.4" running CS4's OnLocation tethered to my EX1 via iLink.

Hi,

After spending most of this afternoon on this site reading all the monitor chit chat I just need a wee question answered, or at least discussed.

I've finally got hold of Adobe CS4 with OnLocation. Disappointed that in using this system the only way I can get an image is to export SD quality using the iLink. No HD quality. Is this right? No great fix or workaround? Which is annoying as I only shoot in HD, and was hoping to use this, slightly cumbersome and risky, method as a field monitor. Alas.

But here's my question.

I can still use this system to colour balance, focus, look at vector scopes, check lighting etc etc on each shot using the SD iLink, and once happy then switch to HD (and thus lose my monitor). Is this good technique? Or is the SD signal (interlaced) that I view going to give me anything different than to my HD (prog) that I am to record? If it is different then obviously this system's bad and I'm having to start over.

If this system is good then what it would provide me is a decent and scientific approach for setting up shots (seeing as my laptop goes out with me anyway) and then use a smallHD/nebteck 9" focus/framing monitor for shooting with.

Many thanks, Ash.
Ashley Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know anything about the EX1, but I think I know the reason OnLocation is not working. When I downloaded the trial to see what it is like, it only allowed connection when in SD mode on my camera. I guess Adobe did this to avoid people from cracking the trial. People may be suspicious of where you got the CS4 suite and that may be why no one has replied. This forum is strict about that.

While testing with the trial, I was very disappointed with the delay between the computer and the software. This can NOT be fixed with a faster computer, it is the nature of the post-compression output of all cameras via firewire. I hope this helps.
Thomas Barthle Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Thomas,

Yes. Valid points.

Its more about the EX1's output on iLink. It will only export SD.

Maybe a workaround would be a Matrox box or similar, which could export either SQ or HQ (I should have called them that, not SD), whilst the camera shoots in HQ (not just in SQ).

Otherwise I don't know.

Firewire lag is accepted and could be worked with.

Monitor solution's ain't that easy hey.
Ashley Briggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software