HD monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Major Player

HD monitor

I'm about to edit an HD project, and I'm not sure how to hook up an HD color-correction monitor.

I have two side by side computer monitors that run off of my video card, and I use them both (like a single extra-long monitor) when editing. When I'm working in SD, I have a firewire hooked to my camera, and an s-vid cable from the camera to my CRT monitor.

Do I buy another videocard to run just the HD monitor? And how would this card know that I only want to see the "output" of my Premiere Pro program?

I can't seem to think this through!

Thanks
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:21 AM   #2
Major Player

That depends on what you are planning to use as an HD color correction monitor. The best way would be to use a professional I/O card, but that would depend on your editing format. Assuming you want an economical solution, look into the Blackmagic-Design Intensity (HDMI or ComponentHD), or the Matrox RTx2 (DVI or ComponentHD).
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Major Player

I was going to use a HD monitor, or maybe a HD television with HDMI in (?)
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #4
Major Player

so I install the Blackmagic-Design Intensity card and run an HDMI cable to my third monitor.

But I'm still not clear on how I designate that I want just the OUTPUT of my editing program on that third monitor.

Can someone help me understand?

thanks -
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Major Player

program monitor

so to hook up a program monitor along with my two computer monitors:

if I buy a seond I/O card, will the output of it's HDMI connector be HD video from my editing program? What if I also have After Effects running? How would I get the output of AE to show on the program monitor?
Old November 26th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Robert,
I'm sure it's possible on all NLEs... I know it can be done on FCP via the preferences. So you might get a better response it you mention which NLE you are using. Also, are you on a pc or mac???

Mark
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm editing PPro CS3 on WinXP on a Dell workstation. I contacted Dell and they recommended a new video card that can handle all 3 monitors, rather than using my existing card (for two monitors) and adding a second card for the 3rd monitor.
Old November 26th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #8
Major Player

quadro feed one lcd + one HDTV?

I've been online all day trying to figure this out.

apparently my workstation only has one pci express slot - and I already have a Quadro FX 3450 feeding dual lcd monitors.

I want to add a 3rd Program Monitor, but it doesn't look like I can even add another graphic card.

So If I switch one of my lcd monitors to a HDTV via DVI with a HDMI adapter, will I be able to see my video full rez?

Thanks -

Anyone with dual computer monitors AND an HDTV monitor hooked up, can you share how you have it configured???
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Robert...................

Bin the Quadro and replace it with a Matrox APVe.

Then, assuming you can fathom the dark recesses of Matrox multi display cableing, you can hook two monitors AND a HDTV (the latter component only from memory) to it.

Next, download the Matrox WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) plugin for Adobe Premier, install and hey presto, your finished video product displays on your telly.

There are a shed load of "gotcha's" with regard to screen resolutions, so check out the Matrox web site in some detail before leaping in.

Also note the APVe is DVI out and is not warranted to work to a HDMI screen - it certainly wouldn't work to my Sony Bravia via HDMI.

CS

PS: I believe the Matrox WYSIWYG plugin works with most, and maybe all, Adobe video products.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; November 27th, 2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: +
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #10
Major Player

The Matrox Parhelia APVe looks like a great solution - and for only a few hundred dollars. But it says in order to attach two LCD monitors AND an HDTV, one of the LCDs needs to be hooked up via VGA, not DVI (?)
is that problematic at all???

And what's the difference between this card and a more expensive one - like this "quadro fx 4700 x2" which sells for about $3000? Quadro FX 4700 X2

is there just additional computing power on the card?

or there's also this quadro NVS 450 that's only $500 - but drives 4 monitors.

NVIDIA Quadro NVS Comparison Chart

thanks

UPDATE!

I just read this post from Eduard Engel : "Since the new PP CS4 my Matrox Parhelia APVe videocard became unuseable. Matrox did not update their drivers for a higher than PP1.5 I do not think they will for CS4." :(
Old December 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #11
Major Player

Quadro NVS 450 x 4 monitors

I contacted NVidia to see what they thought of using a Quadro NVS 450 card. It supports 4 monitors.

They responded,"although the NVS 450 card can work, it is not designed for video editing and may lack the performance you are looking for.
The Quadro NVS Product line is designed for business applications and is not recommended for video editing."

Does anyone know why it wouldn't be suitable. The website says it can handle 4 monitors up to 2560 x 1600. Might it be the refresh rate that would be lagging?

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 450 Professional Graphics Solution
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Robert, have a closer look at the Blackmagic Intensity as recommended above. Are you sure you don't have a spare slot? I copied this from the Blackmagic site:

"Card Type: PCI Express 1 lane, compatible with 1,4,8 and 16 lane PCIe slots"

When you install the card, the BlackMagic Project type gets added to your available project types in Premier (with DV PAL, DV NTSC, HDV etc). When you use one of those presets, playout is directed to your HDV monitor/telly (in my case, I have a 40" attached to the wall above my edit station so the hangers-on can sit back on the couch and micro-manage my editing!).

I'm not sure where your work is going, but I wouldn't get too carried away with colour grading on a domestic HD telly. You really need a calibrated HD reference monitor.

Matthew
Matthew Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #13
Major Player

Matthew ~

Thanks for the reminder! I thought I had written that blackmagic card off as not an option for some reason, but I don't rremember why...

I'll contact them to be sure it works with Premiere Pro CS4 -

cheers!
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #14

for my money, the intensity card is frought with problems. my solution is two video cards, and it works great. i'm fortunate in that i have 2 pcie slots. i'm pretty sure you can run that quadro in your single pci3 x16 slot and a second cheap video card in one of your standard pcie x1 slots.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #15
Major Player

Bill Ravens wrote:

"...the intensity card is frought with problems."
"...a second cheap video card in one of your standard pcie x1 slots."

Can you describe the problems?

and would a second cheap card in a X1 slot be fast enough for HD video?
any cheap cards to recommend??
Robert Bobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software