DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   When is SmallHD Coming to Market? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/152382-when-smallhd-coming-market.html)

Greg Clark April 2nd, 2009 07:21 AM

When is SmallHD Coming to Market?

I desperately need 2 field monitors and their monitor sounds excellent. Anyone got any inside information as to how long we must wait?

Paul Mailath April 2nd, 2009 06:22 PM

Get in line.. (I hope you bought a chair)

I'm about past waiting, I hope it's not vaporware but it's been a long time coming - think I'll go the Manhattan.

Greg Clark April 2nd, 2009 06:25 PM

I agree with you that the Manhattan is probably the way to go. Who knows SmallHD may not ship for a year or never.

Michael Ojjeh April 2nd, 2009 06:57 PM

It has been a long wait, I need one within three weeks for a fashion show shoot, can't wait any longer !!!!!!

Buba Kastorski April 3rd, 2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Clark (Post 1042610)
When is SmallHD Coming to Market?

I'm afraid never, i really like the picture, but I need a real thing;
probably will go with ikan

Justin Carlson April 3rd, 2009 01:25 PM

I'm in the same boat, and can't wait any longer.
I'm going with a 7" Marshall next week.

Greg Clark April 3rd, 2009 03:56 PM

I guess I'm not the only one in this predicament

Marshall only 800 x 480. I guess I will wait for the Manhattan HD089C. The minute we order the SmallHD alternative they will come to market. Too bad SmallHD wouldn't at least keep us informed as to product delivery. They have our email address.

Michael Ojjeh April 4th, 2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Clark (Post 1047598)
Marshall only 800 x 480. I guess I will wait for the Manhattan HD089C. The minute we order the SmallHD alternative they will come to market. Too bad SmallHD wouldn't at least keep us informed as to product delivery. They have our email address.

The Manhattan HD089C is 1280x768 with 1:1 pixel mapping, RGB adjustment in menu $799-999
I think that is a lot more money then the SmallHD if it will ever come out :)

Greg Clark April 5th, 2009 07:04 AM

What choice is there to buy now?

It is obvious that many of us are in the same dilemma.
I would like to purchase a monitor that has resolution higher than 800x480 with Component and HDMI plugs.
I know that many don't mind hooking up their portable DVD players with the low resolution and limited movement in run and gun.
There has to be an alternative.
Possibly this elusive monitor will show up at NAB 09 if we can wait that long.

Heath Vinyard April 6th, 2009 01:26 PM

I was also waiting for this monitor but went with the Mahattan because I couldn't wait any longer. It's a great monitor and no regrets.

John Peterson April 6th, 2009 07:19 PM

I think I asked myself whether or not they will be around afterwards if and when they ever import this LCD they have been saying is "coming soon". It seems like an inordinate amount of time so I wonder about the longevity of the company and the warranty if there is a problem.

John

Paul Mailath April 7th, 2009 01:08 AM

I was going to write to them and say "you guys need to keep people informed of your progress, give us something to wait for, but then if they don't have any good news maybe it's better to say nothing at all - pity.

Greg Clark April 7th, 2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1061608)
I was going to write to them and say "you guys need to keep people informed of your progress, give us something to wait for, but then if they don't have any good news maybe it's better to say nothing at all - pity.

You are right Paul it would be nice to be able to write to SmallHD. But you can't! All you can do is leave your email address.

I'm starting to agree with other posts that a company that doesn't keep its potential customers informed is not worth dealing with.

Michael Ojjeh April 7th, 2009 08:06 AM

I want to know if SmallHD monitor compatible with NTSC & PAL, I am trying to compare that with the new Manhattanlcd HD089c, I email Manhattanlcd to get some info on the new monitor and here are some info I got from them:

The HD089C production models will be $899. The Prototype are $699, they have the wrong software on them but all the functionally is still there.
The HD089C is 720p native (1280x768), 500:1 contrast, 250 nits, 179 degree view angle
And it is NTSC & PAL Compatible so I don't have to buy two monitor for my H1 which I shoot both format.

John Peterson April 8th, 2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh (Post 1062477)
And it is NTSC & PAL Compatible so I don't have to buy two monitor for my H1 which I shoot both format.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all LCD displays can handle either NTSC or PAL. It is when they have a tuner that the problems arise.

John

Bradley Ouellette April 8th, 2009 10:05 PM

I know I'm late to the party, but does the SmallHD have a rumored price or one were shooting for?

Rick Bolton April 8th, 2009 10:52 PM

The bigger question is if they have a product that will ever ship.

Trevor Meeks April 9th, 2009 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Bolton (Post 1069367)
The bigger question is if they have a product that will ever ship.

Wow, you guys are vicious! Hold your freaking horses! Saying stuff like that does not help the situation - it only inflames things more and shows obvious disrespect for the people who are working their @sses off on these new monitors... which, by the way, are coming so soon you can almost taste it. Wait a few weeks, I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. If you haven't heard anything within 3 weeks, then by all means come back and gripe. Until then... lets just say "be patient."

Toby Giessen April 9th, 2009 02:16 AM

I received an email this morning from smallHd.com.

They want you to vote for your favourite color of the hd screen case...

SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1

cheers

Paul Mailath April 9th, 2009 02:20 AM

All I can see (or read) is a great level of frustration - we are interested in the product but without ANY information what are we meant to think. You say that these guys are working hard to bring the product to market but there is nothing to suggest that. If you know something then do them a favour and let us know, give us some reason to be positive about the prospects for smallHD.

BTW - I got an email today from smallHD... no specs, no release date but it's something
Hey Guys,
Help us out for a sec...
We're quickly gearing up for pre-orders, and as we do, we're locking down the final design details of the DP1. We need your help determining the preferred color scheme of the two that we are offering: Black or Silver.
We will be stocking both options on launch day, but probably not in equal amounts, as there will probably be a general "favorite" between the two. Help us decide what percentage of the DP1s should be made in Black (and Silver) by having a close look at them both, and then casting a quick vote for the one you like most.
Clicking on the image above will give you a much closer look at what we consider to be the final structural design for this product, and as you can see, there have been some changes since our last announcement. Namely, the menu/nav buttons have been moved, and a sixth 1/4-20 mounting point has been added to the input trough on top of the DP1, which will increase mounting flexibility.
A full list of specifications that will include the DP1's extensive menu functions will be released very soon (just prior to an official pre-order announcement), so please pick your color soon!
Pass this around if you have friends who might be interested... we want as many votes as possible.
Thanks again!

-Dale at SmallHD

Instructions:

1 - Click here.
2 - Peruse through the images of both the Black and the Silver version of the DP1
3 - Once you're decided on which one you prefer, enter your email address on the corresponding side.
4 - Click Vote.
5 - Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Seriously, this is a great help.

Trevor Meeks April 9th, 2009 04:04 AM

Paul, the level of frustration is clear, but people need to understand the issues with producing a product like this from scratch. If it was as simple as throwing an LCD in a plastic box, they would have released months and months ago, but instead they've put a lot of time into R&D, which is clear from the images of their product now posted on the smallHD website.

As I said before, give it a couple of weeks and you are GOING to hear something. I'll revise that and say 7-14 days and That's the last that I'm saying about that.

Good enough? It sure is for me. This monitor is going to be great, and I for one an particularly proud of Dale and everyone at smallHD for taking their time to produce a great product.

Greg Clark April 9th, 2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks (Post 1070175)
As I said before, give it a couple of weeks and you are GOING to hear something. I'll revise that and say 7-14 days and That's the last that I'm saying about that.

Well now SmallHD sends out an email asking WHAT COLOR I WANT? This company has teased me long enough.
I just ordered 2 Manhattan LCD's. End of topic from my point of view.

Rick Bolton April 9th, 2009 08:36 AM

Trevor

"...you guys are vicious! Hold your freaking horses!"

Perhaps your "horses" are the ones that need holding.

Buba Kastorski April 9th, 2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Clark (Post 1070386)
Well now SmallHD sends out an email asking WHAT COLOR I WANT?

yeah, i got that email too, maybe there will be a small HD monitor on the market.
pictures r looking great :)

John C. Plunkett April 9th, 2009 09:47 AM

The only thing I'm certain of is that if it's going to cost more than $800, it's not worth the wait for me.

Dale Backus April 9th, 2009 03:33 PM

All -

I just want to clear a few things up, and try to ease the apparent distaste for SmallHD. Let me just explain a few things.

When we first began, it was supposed to be a simple operation, taking off the shelf components and building a case around them - it was more of a hobby than a business at that point. Due to the obvious lack of business operations/logistics that philosophy would harness, it would not be a good platform to launch a full fledged design/manufacturing/distribution house from. Long story short, because of the interest, to ensure the overall success and happiness of ourselves and the customer, we had to rethink everything.

We essentially started from scratch, but at the same time we had a live website that displayed everything from the "old" smallHD. This website did have contact information, and i was inundated by people all asking the same question: price and release. I kept doing my best to estimate, but ultimately the estimates i gave were inaccurate, and this was unacceptable. We decided to just not say anything about it, until we were ABSOLUTELY sure that we were going to make good on our promises. Believe me when i say we are just as sick of being "vaporware" as you. Well the time has come, and we will be releasing detailed specs, launch dates, prices etc in less than a week.

Again, we do apologize for "teasing", and that was never our intention - we just wanted to make a product that was the best value we could achieve, and not rush anything to market.

Regards,

Dale from SmallHD.com

Bradley Ouellette April 9th, 2009 04:10 PM

That is awesome news Dale, thanks. Hold on to them Manhattan receipts people!

Chris Hurd April 9th, 2009 04:33 PM

Hey Dale -- believe me your input here is very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch for stepping forward,

Rick Bolton April 9th, 2009 08:22 PM

Dale - we look forward to the details. In retrospect, a bit of explanation a month or two ago would have gone a long way in minimizing what you are experiencing.

So many of us are looking for cost effective solutions - tick tock tick tock - the wait ends shortly ?

Trevor Meeks April 9th, 2009 10:11 PM

Their website with the DP1 details has been up for over a month now, FYI.

Rick Bolton April 9th, 2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks (Post 1073452)
Their website with the DP1 details has been up for over a month now, FYI.

Per Dale's post this afternoon: "Well the time has come, and we will be releasing detailed specs, launch dates, prices etc in less than a week."

FYI

Trevor Meeks April 9th, 2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Bolton (Post 1073557)
Per Dale's post this afternoon: "Well the time has come, and we will be releasing detailed specs, launch dates, prices etc in less than a week."

FYI

Rick, I realize that. DETAILED, yes. But basic specs along with an image of the DP1 has been up for about a month, quite clearly indicating progress that so many people have simply discounted as "vaporware."

Anyway, now you don't have to wait very long, right? You should be happy!

Paul Mailath April 10th, 2009 12:42 AM

Thanks Dale - one post, one contact can turn the tide of opinion. I understand your decision not to say anything until you were ready, but I believe it's the wrong decision - the majority of people will always think the worst - including me.

every product needs good PR, I appreciate you can't spend your day answering emails but forums like this provide a great way of getting the message out there and that's what you've done - suddenly the vibe changes and we eagerly await the launch

Trevor, I'm sure Dale appreciates your stand on this subject but you obviously know more than you are saying and THAT's the very reason you can make that stand. You can't expect people to throw out their scepticism without giving them real information - and if a few details and a picture on a website are 'good enough for you' - give me an hour and I'll have a coming soon site detailing a $50 Red One alternative - send your money now.

My Manhatten purchase is on hold - for a while. Keep me informed - please

Trevor Meeks April 10th, 2009 02:02 AM

I don't know anymore than what I said, in all honesty. But I'm glad to see that Dale has cleared some things up for us all. Looking forward to the up and coming announcement, and pre-orders!

Rick Bolton April 10th, 2009 09:18 AM

Paul - very well said. Even Dale acknowledged the vaporware image that was being created.

Andrew Dean April 10th, 2009 10:50 AM

Seems to be the curse of the indy developer of film/video gear. Damned if you speak, damned if you dont.

I emailed Dale when the 12" version was still vapor in august of last year. His story then was about the same as now. Working hard to make a solution that he would be proud to sell, and trying to juggle between keeping people informed and not giving out information that is rendered false.

It took a lot of brass ones to admit on the "reveal day" for the 12" that instead of revealing a product that they had scrapped everything and started over. When he said they were working on a smaller, better monitor, i tried to send him money. I asked where to paypal funds to be first in line and he refused, saying he wouldn't take money until he could guarantee shipment.

It was that exchange that made me trust that Dale was going to do it right. And the fact that every minute smallhd isnt for sale is costs being spent and money being lost makes me trust that Dale is working as fast as he possibly can to get this to market.

Yeah, sure I'm tired of waiting for smallhd. But then, i was annoyed to wait 8 months for the cool lights led. However, it was totally worth the delay to have it right. I dont want the smallHD to have some obvious flaw that could have been fixed with more time. I dont want the case to be ugly. I don't want the interface to be clumsy.

Neither do you. And more importantly, neither does Dale.

Just like the cool lights LED, I reckon the DP1 is going to take longer and cost more than i want... and still totally be worth it.

Rick Bolton April 10th, 2009 11:50 AM

Andrew - you make good points. That said, the market will reward design, quality, service, cost and another important component - timing.

They are all part of the mix.

We'll have more meaningful info by next Thursday - hope it is exciting news!!!!

Anthony Lovell April 10th, 2009 02:23 PM

I have to shoot an interview this Sunday, but the subject is sort of blurry anyhow, so I'm fine for now.

tone

Rick Bolton April 15th, 2009 09:56 AM

Per Dale's April 9 post:

"Well the time has come, and we will be releasing detailed specs, launch dates, prices etc in less than a week."

Today (April 15) would be the last full day to meet the "in less than a week" commitment.

We are so ready for the exciting news.

Anthony Lovell April 15th, 2009 10:34 AM

I'm hoping to learn more, but don't get ballistic if he misses it. Slip is a question of degree, usually.