When is SmallHD Coming to Market? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Closed Thread

Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Major Player

When is SmallHD Coming to Market?

I desperately need 2 field monitors and their monitor sounds excellent. Anyone got any inside information as to how long we must wait?
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Get in line.. (I hope you bought a chair)

I'm about past waiting, I hope it's not vaporware but it's been a long time coming - think I'll go the Manhattan.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with you that the Manhattan is probably the way to go. Who knows SmallHD may not ship for a year or never.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Major Player

It has been a long wait, I need one within three weeks for a fashion show shoot, can't wait any longer !!!!!!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post
When is SmallHD Coming to Market?
I'm afraid never, i really like the picture, but I need a real thing;
probably will go with ikan
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm in the same boat, and can't wait any longer.
I'm going with a 7" Marshall next week.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Major Player

I guess I'm not the only one in this predicament

Marshall only 800 x 480. I guess I will wait for the Manhattan HD089C. The minute we order the SmallHD alternative they will come to market. Too bad SmallHD wouldn't at least keep us informed as to product delivery. They have our email address.
Old April 4th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post
Marshall only 800 x 480. I guess I will wait for the Manhattan HD089C. The minute we order the SmallHD alternative they will come to market. Too bad SmallHD wouldn't at least keep us informed as to product delivery. They have our email address.
The Manhattan HD089C is 1280x768 with 1:1 pixel mapping, RGB adjustment in menu $799-999
I think that is a lot more money then the SmallHD if it will ever come out :)
Old April 5th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Major Player

What choice is there to buy now?

It is obvious that many of us are in the same dilemma.
I would like to purchase a monitor that has resolution higher than 800x480 with Component and HDMI plugs.
I know that many don't mind hooking up their portable DVD players with the low resolution and limited movement in run and gun.
There has to be an alternative.
Possibly this elusive monitor will show up at NAB 09 if we can wait that long.
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Major Player

I was also waiting for this monitor but went with the Mahattan because I couldn't wait any longer. It's a great monitor and no regrets.
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #11
Major Player

I think I asked myself whether or not they will be around afterwards if and when they ever import this LCD they have been saying is "coming soon". It seems like an inordinate amount of time so I wonder about the longevity of the company and the warranty if there is a problem.

John
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #12
Trustee

I was going to write to them and say "you guys need to keep people informed of your progress, give us something to wait for, but then if they don't have any good news maybe it's better to say nothing at all - pity.
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mailath View Post
I was going to write to them and say "you guys need to keep people informed of your progress, give us something to wait for, but then if they don't have any good news maybe it's better to say nothing at all - pity.
You are right Paul it would be nice to be able to write to SmallHD. But you can't! All you can do is leave your email address.

I'm starting to agree with other posts that a company that doesn't keep its potential customers informed is not worth dealing with.
Old April 7th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #14
Major Player

I want to know if SmallHD monitor compatible with NTSC & PAL, I am trying to compare that with the new Manhattanlcd HD089c, I email Manhattanlcd to get some info on the new monitor and here are some info I got from them:

The HD089C production models will be $899. The Prototype are $699, they have the wrong software on them but all the functionally is still there.
The HD089C is 720p native (1280x768), 500:1 contrast, 250 nits, 179 degree view angle
And it is NTSC & PAL Compatible so I don't have to buy two monitor for my H1 which I shoot both format.
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh View Post
And it is NTSC & PAL Compatible so I don't have to buy two monitor for my H1 which I shoot both format.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all LCD displays can handle either NTSC or PAL. It is when they have a tuner that the problems arise.

John
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software