When is SmallHD Coming to Market? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Closed Thread

Old April 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I know I'm late to the party, but does the SmallHD have a rumored price or one were shooting for?
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The bigger question is if they have a product that will ever ship.
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bolton View Post
The bigger question is if they have a product that will ever ship.
Wow, you guys are vicious! Hold your freaking horses! Saying stuff like that does not help the situation - it only inflames things more and shows obvious disrespect for the people who are working their @sses off on these new monitors... which, by the way, are coming so soon you can almost taste it. Wait a few weeks, I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. If you haven't heard anything within 3 weeks, then by all means come back and gripe. Until then... lets just say "be patient."
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #19
Tourist

I received an email this morning from smallHd.com.

They want you to vote for your favourite color of the hd screen case...

SmallHD.com - 8.9" High Definition - the DP1

cheers
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #20
Trustee

All I can see (or read) is a great level of frustration - we are interested in the product but without ANY information what are we meant to think. You say that these guys are working hard to bring the product to market but there is nothing to suggest that. If you know something then do them a favour and let us know, give us some reason to be positive about the prospects for smallHD.

BTW - I got an email today from smallHD... no specs, no release date but it's something
Hey Guys,
Help us out for a sec...
We're quickly gearing up for pre-orders, and as we do, we're locking down the final design details of the DP1. We need your help determining the preferred color scheme of the two that we are offering: Black or Silver.
We will be stocking both options on launch day, but probably not in equal amounts, as there will probably be a general "favorite" between the two. Help us decide what percentage of the DP1s should be made in Black (and Silver) by having a close look at them both, and then casting a quick vote for the one you like most.
Clicking on the image above will give you a much closer look at what we consider to be the final structural design for this product, and as you can see, there have been some changes since our last announcement. Namely, the menu/nav buttons have been moved, and a sixth 1/4-20 mounting point has been added to the input trough on top of the DP1, which will increase mounting flexibility.
A full list of specifications that will include the DP1's extensive menu functions will be released very soon (just prior to an official pre-order announcement), so please pick your color soon!
Pass this around if you have friends who might be interested... we want as many votes as possible.
Thanks again!

-Dale at SmallHD

Instructions:

1 - Click here.
2 - Peruse through the images of both the Black and the Silver version of the DP1
3 - Once you're decided on which one you prefer, enter your email address on the corresponding side.
4 - Click Vote.
5 - Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Seriously, this is a great help.

Old April 9th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #21
Major Player

Paul, the level of frustration is clear, but people need to understand the issues with producing a product like this from scratch. If it was as simple as throwing an LCD in a plastic box, they would have released months and months ago, but instead they've put a lot of time into R&D, which is clear from the images of their product now posted on the smallHD website.

As I said before, give it a couple of weeks and you are GOING to hear something. I'll revise that and say 7-14 days and That's the last that I'm saying about that.

Good enough? It sure is for me. This monitor is going to be great, and I for one an particularly proud of Dale and everyone at smallHD for taking their time to produce a great product.
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks View Post
As I said before, give it a couple of weeks and you are GOING to hear something. I'll revise that and say 7-14 days and That's the last that I'm saying about that.
Well now SmallHD sends out an email asking WHAT COLOR I WANT? This company has teased me long enough.
I just ordered 2 Manhattan LCD's. End of topic from my point of view.
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Trevor

"...you guys are vicious! Hold your freaking horses!"

Perhaps your "horses" are the ones that need holding.
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Clark View Post
Well now SmallHD sends out an email asking WHAT COLOR I WANT?
yeah, i got that email too, maybe there will be a small HD monitor on the market.
pictures r looking great :)
Old April 9th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #25
Regular Crew

The only thing I'm certain of is that if it's going to cost more than $800, it's not worth the wait for me.
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #26
Regular Crew

All -

I just want to clear a few things up, and try to ease the apparent distaste for SmallHD. Let me just explain a few things.

When we first began, it was supposed to be a simple operation, taking off the shelf components and building a case around them - it was more of a hobby than a business at that point. Due to the obvious lack of business operations/logistics that philosophy would harness, it would not be a good platform to launch a full fledged design/manufacturing/distribution house from. Long story short, because of the interest, to ensure the overall success and happiness of ourselves and the customer, we had to rethink everything.

We essentially started from scratch, but at the same time we had a live website that displayed everything from the "old" smallHD. This website did have contact information, and i was inundated by people all asking the same question: price and release. I kept doing my best to estimate, but ultimately the estimates i gave were inaccurate, and this was unacceptable. We decided to just not say anything about it, until we were ABSOLUTELY sure that we were going to make good on our promises. Believe me when i say we are just as sick of being "vaporware" as you. Well the time has come, and we will be releasing detailed specs, launch dates, prices etc in less than a week.

Again, we do apologize for "teasing", and that was never our intention - we just wanted to make a product that was the best value we could achieve, and not rush anything to market.

Regards,

Dale from SmallHD.com
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #27
Regular Crew

That is awesome news Dale, thanks. Hold on to them Manhattan receipts people!
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Hey Dale -- believe me your input here is very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch for stepping forward,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Dale - we look forward to the details. In retrospect, a bit of explanation a month or two ago would have gone a long way in minimizing what you are experiencing.

So many of us are looking for cost effective solutions - tick tock tick tock - the wait ends shortly ?
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #30
Major Player

Their website with the DP1 details has been up for over a month now, FYI.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software