When is SmallHD Coming to Market? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Closed Thread

Old April 9th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks View Post
Their website with the DP1 details has been up for over a month now, FYI.
Per Dale's post this afternoon: "Well the time has come, and we will be releasing detailed specs, launch dates, prices etc in less than a week."

FYI
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bolton View Post
Per Dale's post this afternoon: "Well the time has come, and we will be releasing detailed specs, launch dates, prices etc in less than a week."

FYI
Rick, I realize that. DETAILED, yes. But basic specs along with an image of the DP1 has been up for about a month, quite clearly indicating progress that so many people have simply discounted as "vaporware."

Anyway, now you don't have to wait very long, right? You should be happy!
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #33
Trustee

Thanks Dale - one post, one contact can turn the tide of opinion. I understand your decision not to say anything until you were ready, but I believe it's the wrong decision - the majority of people will always think the worst - including me.

every product needs good PR, I appreciate you can't spend your day answering emails but forums like this provide a great way of getting the message out there and that's what you've done - suddenly the vibe changes and we eagerly await the launch

Trevor, I'm sure Dale appreciates your stand on this subject but you obviously know more than you are saying and THAT's the very reason you can make that stand. You can't expect people to throw out their scepticism without giving them real information - and if a few details and a picture on a website are 'good enough for you' - give me an hour and I'll have a coming soon site detailing a $50 Red One alternative - send your money now.

My Manhatten purchase is on hold - for a while. Keep me informed - please
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #34
Major Player

I don't know anymore than what I said, in all honesty. But I'm glad to see that Dale has cleared some things up for us all. Looking forward to the up and coming announcement, and pre-orders!
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Paul - very well said. Even Dale acknowledged the vaporware image that was being created.
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #36
Major Player

Seems to be the curse of the indy developer of film/video gear. Damned if you speak, damned if you dont.

I emailed Dale when the 12" version was still vapor in august of last year. His story then was about the same as now. Working hard to make a solution that he would be proud to sell, and trying to juggle between keeping people informed and not giving out information that is rendered false.

It took a lot of brass ones to admit on the "reveal day" for the 12" that instead of revealing a product that they had scrapped everything and started over. When he said they were working on a smaller, better monitor, i tried to send him money. I asked where to paypal funds to be first in line and he refused, saying he wouldn't take money until he could guarantee shipment.

It was that exchange that made me trust that Dale was going to do it right. And the fact that every minute smallhd isnt for sale is costs being spent and money being lost makes me trust that Dale is working as fast as he possibly can to get this to market.

Yeah, sure I'm tired of waiting for smallhd. But then, i was annoyed to wait 8 months for the cool lights led. However, it was totally worth the delay to have it right. I dont want the smallHD to have some obvious flaw that could have been fixed with more time. I dont want the case to be ugly. I don't want the interface to be clumsy.

Neither do you. And more importantly, neither does Dale.

Just like the cool lights LED, I reckon the DP1 is going to take longer and cost more than i want... and still totally be worth it.
Old April 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Andrew - you make good points. That said, the market will reward design, quality, service, cost and another important component - timing.

They are all part of the mix.

We'll have more meaningful info by next Thursday - hope it is exciting news!!!!
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I have to shoot an interview this Sunday, but the subject is sort of blurry anyhow, so I'm fine for now.

tone
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Per Dale's April 9 post:

"Well the time has come, and we will be releasing detailed specs, launch dates, prices etc in less than a week."

Today (April 15) would be the last full day to meet the "in less than a week" commitment.

We are so ready for the exciting news.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #40
Regular Crew

I'm hoping to learn more, but don't get ballistic if he misses it. Slip is a question of degree, usually.
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Backus View Post
All -
Again, we do apologize for "teasing", and that was never our intention - we just wanted to make a product that was the best value we could achieve, and not rush anything to market.
While we look forward to great things from smallHD, the web site has left the impression for many months that product was at hand. Why do this? I'll answer: to prevent sales from going to a competitor. Yes, we do live in an era of vaporware and premature announcements. You'll have to do some repair in this department, as in, stop the teasing on your website. At this point, a message of "Estimated ship date not known." at the top of the site would be proper. As for the color vote, you could precede it with "Help us design our product."

I'm one of those guys that bought a manhattanlcd a few days before learning about smallhd, but I can relate to the people that have stalled for months thinking that a smallhd product was days away.

All of that said, from direct experience in my own ventures, I understand the complexities of starting a business and wish you luck in getting your product out soon.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #42
Major Player

Obviously you're one of the people who completely misunderstands the SmallHD website. The "vote for your favorite color" thing is to help them determine how many of each color to order from their manufacturer - it's not "help us design our product."

As for the estimated ship date, it's kind of a given that there is no announced ship date, since it doesn't say anything like "available in (month) 2009" or something like that.

Chill, people... you crack me up!
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #43
Major Player

I waited a long time for this product to come out, but I am not getting any younger waiting for it. I just bought the Manhattanlcd and life goes on.
I wish them luck in getting the product out and who knows I need a second monitor one day and hope to buy the SmallHD if it holds its reputation.
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Sorry Guys,

We're doing our best and we realize we've fell short in the time to launch race.. i'm not going to make excuses, i just hope the product itself makes up for it.

Cheers,
Dale
Old April 16th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #45
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Dale -- be sure to let us know when the time comes, and then I'll re-open this thread.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software