Monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 15th, 2004, 04:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Monitor?

People here have talked about how bad the LCD system on the HD10 is, so what are you using for a field monitor? I assume most people are using some kind of 8" or 9" CRT, but how do you get the video into the monitor? There's no SDI output on the HD10, right? Can it even output HD while shooting? I seem to recall that it couldn't. Most small monitors anymore are BNC or SDI. I'm just wondering what has been used that worked well with the HD10.

Sorry about all the questions, but I really need to sort this out and finish up a budget.
Robert Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Robert,

That question has been addressed a couple of times since I've been browsing this site with no real solution.

Some people have just been using a standard NTSC monitor via component and viewing a widescreen 480p image.

Here's my take, when I posted my results on connecting this camera to a TV that has firewire input (see here), I discovered that you could monitor in HD via firewire on a Mits rear projection set!

The problem now is finding a monitor that's small enough that has a firewire input. I'm still looking myself and will report back if anything surfaces.

On the other hand I had suggested using a laptop with firewire input, but the software that comes with the camera doesn't do any monitoring. I haven't tried it with any other software because I don't have any pro level software like Premiere Pro or Vegas.

I have Ulead Video Studio but the preview window is small and can't be resized. I'll give it a shot to see what happens.

Ideally a 10" LCD/CRT with firewire would be excellent. There firewire to component convertor/adaptors, but most of them cost almost as much if not more than the camera itself. You can check here for options. Actually in reviewing that site again, it looks like there's an $599 option that might be worth looking into.

I'll email the manufacturer to see if it's compatible with MPEG2 TS and I'll report back.

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Trustee

This is what we are getting
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=127285&is=REG

It will double as a studio/field monitor for us. In the studio it will be connected to the Parhelia card for RT TV out 16x9.

Ken
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

LCD Monitor with firewire HD input.

It's HD Unclear about what would happen with a higher resolution signal. 15" and is rack mountable.

The DVM-150X Color LCD DV Monitor directly accepts an IEEE1394 Firewire Digital Video signal....

http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/product.CFM?BaseItem=DVM%2D150X

MFG data sheet:
http://www.tvone.com/pdf/SpecSheet-DVM150X.pdf
James Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #5
Major Player

I got a response back on the adapters and they are for DV only. They are also in the process of doing a 7" LCD with firewire in but it will be DV only also.

Robert,

That product is DV only also and I would bet that it wouldn't be able to handle the MPEG2 stream from the HD1/HD10.

Troy
Old January 19th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Sony Pro offers a very expensive 17" solution to anyone with deep pockets. You can check it out here for $4K

Here's the pic link.

Still searching...

Troy
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

my brain slipped

right DV not HD

still for $1200.

Did they say what would happen when you presented it with the HD signal?
James Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 08:58 AM   #8
Major Player

They didn't, but I would only imagine that nothing would happen. I've tried to get an HD signal to a DVD recorder with DV only in and nothing happens.

As I posted in another thread, I've also tried to get HD->DV downconversion but it didn't work....

Troy
Old January 20th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #9
Trustee

I just realised that the field monitor I mentioned, while it will work fine in the field (S-video out 16x9) as the cam only outputs SD via Y/C or composite. I will need a true HD monitor for my RT TV-out previews from our Parhelia card. Correct?
Ken
Old January 20th, 2004, 02:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
I will need a true HD monitor for my RT TV-out previews from our Parhelia card. Correct?
That's correct. Either one with component or firewire input (if firewire it has to be MPEG2 compatible). Preferably one with 720p capabilities so you won't have to up-rez your footage.

Troy
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software