calibrating low-end b'cast monitors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 17th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #1
Major Player

calibrating low-end b'cast monitors

I've noticed that some of the more affordable 24" monitors, like the JVC DT-V24L1U and the HP Dreamcolor, have proprietary calibration systems that are PC-only.

Right now I'm more interested in the JVC, but where does the calibration leave Mac users?

Is the data stored in the monitor -- so I could calibrate through Boot Camp/Windows -- or on the computer, which would be useless for me as a FCP user.

Alternatively, can I use a 3rd party system instead (I have a Spyder 3 already) and get similar results?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Phillip: I've NEVER used anything more than Colour Bars to calibrate a monitor, and I've set up several in broadcast edit bays and TONS in the field. The ONLY issue I see with the JVC is the lack of a Blue Only switch (perhaps Colour Off does the "same" thing?) for getting Hue and Saturation bang on. Or perhaps I'm missing something? Do the front controls only work for analog inputs perhaps? I've set up monitors accepting SDI (a pure digital signal) but never HDMI so I don't KNOW but I'd be surprised if you couldn't still set things up.

EDIT: The above ASSUMES you're talking about feeding the monitor a VIDEO signal and not a computer display signal.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Shaun, thanks. Actually, I have an old Sony 9-inch b'cast monitor, and I've only calibrated with the blue and color bars, too. I guess I was thrown a little by the offer of proprietary calibration software...not sure why it's needed, but it's not for Mac.

That monitor actually will display blue, red, or green separately, and the controls seem to handle any input. But there's not a whole lot of info out there.

Ahhh...just looked again. The software is intended to let you "match different monitors to a single reference."
Philip Fass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software