IS 'blue check' that important on a prod. monitor for color correction? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 15th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #1
New Boot

IS 'blue check' that important on a prod. monitor for color correction?

Hi-

Just wondering looking at all the diff monitors out there. JVC has some high res monitors but don't apppear to have the blue check feature.

I already have a Samsung 'client monitor' TV, but I need something that will give me an accurate color representation for local spots as the samsung is all over the place.

Even if the JVC don't have the blue check, is it still better than the Samsung as far as being 'true colors'

Thanks-

Jeff
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=24178

Please try to use the search. A search on "blue check" resulted
in that thread on the 5th hit (would've been the 4th without
your thread) that has the following title "What are underscan &
bluecheck" which will answer at least part of your question.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #3
New Boot

I did the search and I saw that thread. I got the jist of what blue check was just wanted some real world opinions on whether it was 'imperative' that blue check be on any monitor you were trying to get a reasonably accurate color read from.

If blue check is most accurate, is a production monitor that does not have it at least better than a samung?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #4
Wrangler

You can perform the same adjustment with or without the Blue-gun-only button on a monitor. You need a fairly deep blue filter and a copy of a monitor adjustment proceedure you can get on VideoUniversity IIRC.

The results are the same however the button is quicker and simpler (you don't have to hold the filter over your eyes when you adjust).

I use both methods. On a camera with a color LCD panel or Viewfinder, you almost have to use a blue filter as they don't have a blug-gun-only button.
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the tip Mike, at the risk of sounding completely remedial, the blue check is just a one time adjustment or fairly periodic?

Jeff
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #6
Wrangler

Kinda depends on how stable your monitor is.

The LCD will probably be reasonably stable unless you adjust brightness which does change the calibration.

Most TV stations used to check at least once every 8 hours by someone who had a 'golden' eye. Don't know what they do now.

I only do it when I think about it which isn't too often. But then the little 14" JVC broadcast monitor I have is quite stable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software