Best 7" LCD 16:9 Monitor w/good 4:3 as well? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 23rd, 2004, 11:38 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I dont, but I can take some. It probably wont look as pro as your mini 35 rig, but it works for me!

Lawrence
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:52 AM   #17
Trustee

Don't be silly, it's the operator that makes it "pro" - not the camera ;)
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #18
Major Player

I was in the market awhile back for a portable LCD but the horizontal resolution was just too low for critical focus and I opted for an 8" Sony CRT, but WOW! It sure doesn't take long for the technology to leave you in the dust.

While doing a search for the 7" Lilliput on ebay I saw that they also offer an 8" LCD with 921,600 pixels (1024 x 768)? Almost a suitable monitoring device for the new wave of HDV cams, unfortunately only in 4:3, but they'll probably update that tomorrow!

-Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 08:04 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Bought the Liliput 7" fits good to camera plate

Have a look:

Liliput 7" on XL2

http://www.twa-film.de/Xl2-1.jpg

http://www.twa-film.de/XL2-2.jpg

Thomas
Thomas Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #20
Trustee

Thomas,

Intriguing...how are you powering it?

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:52 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Powering Liliput

Have a look:

http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=LIBA

Greetings Thomas
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #22
Trustee

Re: Powering Liliput

<<<-- Originally posted by Thomas Wagner : Have a look:

http://www.nebtek.com/proddetail.php?prod=LIBA

Greetings Thomas -->>>

2 questions:

1>what battery are you connecting to the adapter and how long does it run?

2> in other photos of the Lilliput it seems there is a reflective surface on the LCD. Does this cause reflections that interfere with viewing?

I know that viewing an LCD in bright lit areas is always an issue.....but I have 2 laptops at work and one has a standard LCD and the other a "Coated glossy" one. In an office building with light coming in the windows the "coated glossy" units is like a mirror. All I see is myself looking at myself!!!

The normal LCD, while darker, is still very much viewable.

Thanks!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #23
Regular Crew

to Marty

Marty I havenīt tried to emty the batterys until now. My brother said ( he is an electronic engineer) the big canon batterie (6000 mA) runs minimum 3 hours with it.

I will give it a try the next days

The display works very well out and inside. I can not see me reflecting on the screen. But if you switch the screen off there is a light shiny shimmer on the screen.

The screen is not too sharp. It has 1100000 Pixel but the RGB-signal coming out of the camera is not so good. Anyway it is okay.
I love to work with it. And it is not very expensive. I payed about 280 € for it. You can connect it to your vga graphic-card on your pc aswell with an outstanding picture.

IMPORTANT: The screen displays not 4:3 in correct aspect ratio. I only work in 16:9 so it doesnīt matter to me.

Greetings from Hannover

Thomas
Old December 4th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #24
Regular Crew

i have the same nebtek konverter.

it is available in different versions. the version he and i use use the xl-1 lithium-ion batteries that are used to power the xl-1.

theoretically i think it works that way:

the Li-Io batteries have 7,2V the converter converts it to 12V.
so when something needs 1000ma (1AH) at 12V it looks something like that:

the batterie has 7,2V and 5000ma so it could power a device with 7,2V and 1000ma for 5 hours.
the converter now converts the 7,2V to 12V. that means 5000ma/12*7,2 = 3000ma
so you could power a device that needs 1000ma at 12V for 3 hours with that 5000ma batterie (someone may correct me when i'm wrong :-)
Elmar Tewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #25
Trustee

Thomas,

Is the 7" Lilliput monitor that you have the touchscreen, VGA version or the normal car version? I'm curious as you said the image coming from the camera looks blurry (blurry or pixilated?)...Is that because the monitor is essentially higher in resolution than the camera? I'm looking at both versions deciding which to go with. The normal car version is considerably less money here. But if the output on the vga version isn't that great (when used with the xl2) then it might make sense for me to start with the cheaper version.

Barry
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #26
Trustee

Hey Barry. Which models are you looking at exactly? I am about to purchase the 7" VGA touchscreen version and I had the same feelings as you. I want to be able to see clearly if I am in focus and the comments about "not too sharp" are vague and a little scary. I also was thinking of trying one of the less expensive but don;t know which one to try. IF you can tell me which one you are looking at I'd like to research it also.

Thanks,
Marty
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #27
Trustee

Marty

It's a little confusing, because the lilliput dealers are mostly in china. I found one today in texas that carries the entire line.

http://stores.ebay.com/Translinks-Store_Car-Monitors_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQsclZallQQsotimedisplayZ2QQtZkm

the two basic offerings in the 7 inch boil down to the 318 model (similar to 218) and the 619..which is the VGA touchscreen version reviewed at:

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/lilliput/index.php

According to this article the resolution is actually 480 x 800...which should look really good with the xl2...and the article says it looks great with dvd input.....so then thomas goes and says it doesn't look so good...so I am confused....

Thomas?
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #28
Regular Crew

to Barry

Barry my version of the Liliput is an all in wonder. It has 2 Video ins. VGA in and touchscreen. The VGA in is really sharp but the 2 Video ins are not as sharp as the VGA is. But I think this is easy to understand. The VGA picture has an resolution of 1024x768 pixel. My XL2 Pal version has an output of 720x576 pixel 4:3 and I have forgotton the 16:9 resolution but anyway it is less than the VGA resolution. And all LCD Displays have only one REAL resolution in this case 1024x768. All other resolutions have to be calculated we say in german (interpoliert) out of the REAL resolution of the screen. So they can not be as good as the REAL resolution. But anyway the picture is very fine and detailed. There is no point in beeing not satisfied with it. The picture out of my 30" LG lcd tv-set is better but I think it is to big to mount it on the Xl2.

IMPORTANT: There is absolutely NO problem in focusing the picture with this monitor!

Now one question from me again. How are you cleaning the lence of your XL2. I am afraid to do something wrong.

Greetings from Hannover Germany (The weather is horrible)

Thomas
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #29
Trustee

To confuse things more the one on that ebay site list the 619 as being able to handle several modes.....4x3 16x9 and so on. However Thomas stated somewhere that his did not do 4x3 at all. So are we all talking about the same exact model? I also have vendor who is selling a VGA version of this monitor that doesn't have touchscreen and it is $20.oo less. He claims it is also less reflective as the touchscreen is actuall a thin layer over top. He says in his opinion the non touch is better suited for our application in the video world. BUt I can;t find a model on Lilliput site that is the full 2400x480 that isn't the touchscreen model.

Thomas,

Would you recommend the 619 with touch screen or now that you have used it is it overkill for video? Would the 1400x234 LCD be ok? Or do see a mojor improvement even if the video is not shown at it's native res on the VGA screen?

(this would all be moot if Canon would have just put a 3.5 LCD on there!)
Old December 7th, 2004, 07:46 AM   #30
Regular Crew

to Marty

Marty I think they write a lot of crap in this ebay auctions. For example: they wrote about my Liliput 7" that it has a resolution of 1600x1200 pixel. This is definetly not true. In the owners Manual of my Liliput it is 1024x768 and if you try higher resolutions there is a message on the screen whitch says resolution not supported.
Or resolution overflow. On the other hand the really poor owners manual says: One S-Video and two RGB-Video Inputs. There is no S-Video input. They show a photo of an different connection cable with S-Video but it do not exist. You can switch through the possible inputs. And they are Video1, Video2, VGA and no S-Video.

And it is right the monitor is able to show an 4:3 picture, but not with the right aspect ratio.

Greetings from Hannover

Thomas
Thomas Wagner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software