Liliput 7" Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old December 2nd, 2004, 06:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Liliput 7" Review

http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/lilliput/index.php

Have a look
Thomas Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Trustee

I have read that review at least 3 times and it looks like a great device. My only issue is that it is so big and where and how could I mount it on the camera for handheld use? I'd ideally like to have it on the accessorie shoe so I could see it while doing handheld shots. But it has no mounts for this and it seems to be getting into a sketchy area to rig something this big up to the XL2 other than on the rear accessory plate as Lawrence Stevens has done. I think that is great but for tripod shots only. Anyone?
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mounts & Brackets

Have a look here:

http://www.nebtek.com/products.php?cat=8

The monitor has a hole downside to fasten it with a camerascrew see url :

Greetings Thomas
Old December 3rd, 2004, 01:27 PM   #4
Trustee

Re: Mounts & Brackets

<<<-- Originally posted by Thomas Wagner : Have a look here:

The monitor has a hole downside to fasten it with a camerascrew see url :

Greetings Thomas -->>>

What exactly am I looking for here? I see all kind of cool mounting accessories but how do I know if they work with the Lilliput? When you said the "monitor has a hole downside" are you referring to the lilliput or the Nebtek? I already have a mount for an LCD to go on the accessory shoe but it has a thheaded bolt that screws into this old LCD screen that is broken. If I could actually see the bottom of the Lilliput to determine if this will work.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

to Marty

have a look downside:

http://www.twa-film.de/Liliput.jpg

Greetings Thomas
Old December 4th, 2004, 06:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Guys

If you aren't going to velcro it to the accessory adapter at the back, then I don't think there is a problem with mounting it to the Accessory Shoe.

As you guys know I have the screen, and the screw thread on the base seems to me to be a standard thread. I bought a mount for it to attach to my jib arm. The mount wasn't designed specifically to screw into the base of my screen, but it screws in fine. It leads me to think that the screw thread on the base is a standard size.

This is where I got the mount from (and the jib arm too!)

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Monitors%20&%20Btackets.htm

However I don't know how these guys deal with overseas customers!

Lawrence
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Trustee

A question that I have regarding these lilliput LCDS.

I found a vendor here in the US that has them in stock. He also has a version of the same monitor that is not touch screen capable. He claims and so does the website that is indeed does have all of the same resolution just minus the touch capabilities. I can't find this on Lilliputs Site to verify though. It looks like the same casing but all silver....without the black.

Adding to the dilemma is that the non touchscreen version is $20.00 less. He is a very nice guy and he gave me his opinion that the non touchscreen model is "slightly" less reflective than the touchscreen version. He said with the monitor turned of he can see himself pretty good in the touch model and in the non-touch he is not as visible. I am concerned about the glare. However i can justify the money for this LCd better if it can double as a PC screen if I need it to. OF course I reallly can;t think of one instance I would really need it but I try to be frugal!

Any opinions on this?

And since I am asking, can you guys give me your opinion of using the 7" LCD on the camera or on a jib arm connected to the camera handheld? Is it too big and awkward? Or suprisingly balanced? Anyone?

Thanks!
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #8
NEBTEK

Hi Marty,

This is just to correct some of the discussions I've seen on the forum about the Lilliput 7" monitor. I took some time looking into this and verifying all the facts before posting. Because if what I was reading was true, I definitely wanted to add these monitors to our product list. Unfortunately... it was not.

None of the Lilliput 7" monitors have close to a million pixels. The highest they have is 384,000. When they give the RGB at 1.1 million they are talking about dots. Three red, green and blue dots equal one pixel. Any company saying 1.1 million pixels RGB is trying to mislead the consumer as to the true resolution of the monitor by listing dots as pixels.

Unfortunately I am beginning to see an alarming trend develop. Even large corporations (like Panasonic) are beginning to use this listing in order to not have their product look inferior to their competitors. It does not mean that there is any better resolution... it is way of mis-representiong itself as something it is not.

By the way, we compared the top of the line Lilliput 7" to the Panasonic for 3 days straight. The Lilliput does look soft.

-Rob
Old March 9th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Lilliput 7 inch monitor -How to remove Touch screen for better image.

For anyone who has the Lilliput 7" Tochscreen monitor and does not ever use the touchscreen -you should know that it is possible to remove the touchscreen element and the image will be much more clear.

I bought one of these Lilliputs to use for my XL2 and was disapointed by the way that the touchscreen glass seemed to make it hard to focus on the image. Its hard to explain without seeing it for yourself but the touchscreen causes some kind of slight problems in viewing up close. So I took it on myself to open it up and guess what - you can remove the touchscreen and the image will be so much clearer! -

How I did it_
I would not recomend you do this unless you are fairly confident with electronics. Remember to ground yourself and if you dont know that much then dont attempt. Remove the 4 screws in the back and try to open it up without too much force. Number 1 rule is dont force it!
There are 4 differnt cables conecting from the back piece to the front. Notice that one calbe is for the touchscreen. It is the one that is stuck to the white padded sticky tape. Carefully peal away the padded tape and disconect. (Its pretty tight) Now you can remove the other 4 internal screws that hold the LCD inside the front caseing. After this you will notic that the touchscreen glass element is simply scotch taped to the monitor. Remove the tape and it comes off easily.
Now put it all back together agian. Took me 20 minutes.
Note: the first time I put it back togheter the power did not work so I had to open it up agian and reatach the power cable as it had come loose due to my jaring around.
Also, you might want to have a 2nd person help hodl the front and back piece as you will notice what Im talking about after you open it up.

Please dont hold me resoposible if you break it. These are not nessisary instructions, but just a list of what I did and it worked. I very easily could have damaged conectors had I not known what I was doing.

Thanks, Tyson

PS> Let me know of your sucess.
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #10
Major Player

Any DVinfo member reviews of the Lilliput 7"? Glare, clarity, etc?

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #11
NEBTEK

Lilliput Touchscreen & Non-Touchscreen Version

Hi Kevin,

I've ordered in both panels of the Lilliput 7" inch now. The "Touchscreen" unit far exceeded the picture clarity and quality of the "Non-Touchscreen". Unfortunately, I had to remove the panel to get the image quality to come through. It was little bit tricky but certainly "do-able". The problem with the "Touchscreen" unit was when I exposed it to hot and cold extremes the touchscreen tended to "freak out".
Working out of Salt Lake City we have the extremes of the Salt Flats in Summer and Park City in Winter. So I had to check out the operating performance in both of these extremes, and unfortunately this panel was only meant for kiosk use in indoor conditions. I'm unsure how the "Touchscreen" technology effects the display under these conditions but it definitely does.

If your using the monitor for studio only conditions it should be fine. For outdoor use I would definitely go with something sturdier. However, I would still have to consider the Panasonic "7" the winner for picture clarity, contrast and visibility.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software