independent LCD monitor screen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

independent LCD monitor screen?

Does anyone have any recommendations on one of these at a reasonable price that I can use at weddings so I don't always have to pull the one out on my PD170?

Thanks
Brandon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Wood
Does anyone have any recommendations on one of these at a reasonable price that I can use at weddings so I don't always have to pull the one out on my PD170?

Thanks
Maybe I'm missing something here but....if it's "time" your worried about- flipping out the PD-170's built in LCD screen takes about 1 second. Whereas if you purchased an external LCD screen it would surely take longer to connect and mount to the cam or tripod.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Can I assume rather than time it is a battery and/or size issue? I use an external monitor but I would not recomend mine it is a 4 inch screen but I would say it is not large enough. I am contemplating buying a laptop-tablet pc for a digital taping solution and a large monitor all in one. I can tell you once you see the larger size it makes it all worth it. It does take extra time set it all up though, and you have to make or find a mounting bracket that fits your needs. I hope this helps you out some.
Ralph Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's a size and a height issue. I am a short guy and constantly have to adjust the flip out vf angle. This introduces some shake if i'm not very careful. Also i'd like something quite a bit larger as you said Ralph.

So back to my question, does anyone have ANY recommendations now that I have given the WHOLE ENTIRE reason? ...Glen? :)
Brandon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Have you considered a portable DVD player that has audio & video 'in' ports?

I picked one up from Tandy for about $300AUD.

If there's no Internet in Heaven, I'm not going!
Wayne Starick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Major Player

If I know I'm going to be shooting from a tripod I use a 13" CRT monitor. If space is an issue I have a 4" LCD monitor to assist in framing. However it is really useless for precise focusing. Indeed, does anyone have any idea how to accurately focus SD video when no built-in viewfinder can produce 700 lines in grayscale? I use either auto focus or manual with quick auto buttons and hope for the best.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software