Urgent - On Camera Lcd Monitor Mix-up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 8th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1
Tourist

Urgent - On Camera Lcd Monitor Mix-up

Hello all,

I have recently purchased my XL2. I am now in search of a very good 7'' LCD monitor to put on the accessory shoe of the camera.

Here comes the mixup:

I have found several monitors and read several threads in here on the subject.

One I found is from www.b-hague.co.uk. It is the LCM 7010 Pro. It's specifications seem great (16:9, 1.152.000 pixels arranged as 2400x480, PAL/NTSC, can be powered with rechargeable batteries pack provided by the same site).

The other one I found is the all time classic Nebtek NEB70LI (16:9, powered with rechargeable Canon batteries, PAL/NTSC, with a strange resolution of 234x480x3 - 336.960 pixels).

My first question: why the 3 numbers in its resolution? As far as I know, the resolution has 2 numbers. Horizontal x Vertical.

My problem is that I want to use the monitor not just to frame my shots, but to have the best possible picture through it. The Nebtek is well known but I fear that it has a true resolution of 1440 x 234 (as most monitors in this category do). I have no means to test it and look at the picture it produces, but from my little experience I fear that the 234 pixels Vertical resolution is very little.

On the other hand, the LCM 7010 Pro monitor has an astounding resolution but as I have also no means of checking it out, I am a little bit reluctant to buy a monitor that I have never ever heard of it's brand again.

What shall I do? Go for the well known (or a similar well known that you will propose to me, or go for the "hi-resolution" one that I don't even know of?

Please help me, I need to buy one as soon as possible and I am completely lost with all the technical details.

Thank you all in advance, hoping to see a lot of replies soon! :-)

stevekom
Steve Komninakidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Komninakidis
The other one I found is the all time classic Nebtek NEB70LI (16:9, powered with rechargeable Canon batteries, PAL/NTSC, with a strange resolution of 234x480x3 - 336.960 pixels).
My first question: why the 3 numbers in its resolution? As far as I know, the resolution has 2 numbers. Horizontal x Vertical.
True! Could it be X3 as per three colors? (RGB?) (I am just trying to make sense of it)(:-?<
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #3
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
True! Could it be X3 as per three colors? (RGB?) (I am just trying to make sense of it)(:-?<

Hello Dan,

I made a little research and I found the answer in www.xenarc.com

The real resolution is 480x234, but as the pixel is composed by RGB (3 that is) dots, the clever way to say it is 1440X234. Wow! what a resolution, lol.

Still that doesn't solve the very little vertical resolution...

Anyway, my main problem is the suggestion of which monitor I should buy from the two I mentioned, and if someone knows any other, to look it up after suggesting it.

By the way, I believe that the 2400x480 resolution of the LCM 7010 Pro is a true 800x480 true resolution.

However it is still twice as much as Nebtek's NEB70LI...

Still hoping that I will have many monitor suggestions!!!

Thanks for your fast reply!
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Steve, I don't want to appear to be fobbing you off but I recently purchased an LCD and had the same questions as you, for fear of repeating what I found out, do a search on here for "lilliput" it answers the resolution question and provides very useful information.

Good luck, I got the lilliput 7" by the way.
Sonny Horsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

which model of lilliput did you happen to purchase?
Chris Fritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Chris, it is the 616GL-70NP.
Sonny Horsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #7
Tourist

Urgent - On Camera Lcd Monitor Mix-up

Hello Sonny,

Are you happy with the image of your Lilliput, (I read a lot of posts saying that this monitor is not adequate to see more than just the framing of a scene).

How do you use your monitor? Just for framing or for more (like checking color, etc.)???

Can you sharply focus on anything at any focal length?

Is the monitor switchable to 4:3 and 16:9?

Moreover, are you sure of the model you said? I am looking it up on the Lilliput site but I can't find it there...

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Old June 16th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Whoops sorry, typo!, it's here (top one without touchscreen) http://www.lilliputuk.com/products.php?cat=4.

I am very happy with it, I have only used it with long lenses as I find it easier to look where I am shooting so I can see the way my subjects move without having my eye stuck to the EVF, much easier to look up then down when needed.

I tend to use it mainly for framing and focus but after some initial adjustment the colour is very close (close enough for my needs). Focusing is (in my opinion) easier than the EVF.

The instructions imply it does auto switch between 16:9/4:3 however there is no menu option for this and it doesn't switch when using a composite connection.

I am of the opinion (but cannot confirm) that it needs an S video signal to do this. It comes with a short cable for video which terminates in what looks like a 7 pin S connector and an extension lead that converts this into a 15 pin D type VGA connector for use on a computer. There is also a connector that plugs in the side of it which provides 2 composite 1 mono audio and a power connector. If you want to see the connections I can post a few snaps.

I am guessing that if I could find a cable to convert the 7 pin plug to S video it may auto switch modes. Hope this helps.

Sonny
Sonny Horsfall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software