SmallHD's DP1 monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Major Player

SmallHD's DP1 monitor

I just took delivery of a DP1 a few days ago and set it up from HD component from my EX3 for a stunning display, following the great tutorials. I am waiting on a type a to type c HDMI cable to arrive so I can hook it up to my nanoflash recorder. I will re-check the settings from HDMI as they may be slightly different.

All in all, a very easy setup process with exciting results.

Well done SmallHD! And thanks for the great package deal too! My batteries will arrive in a few days.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm a proud owner of two SmallHD DP1s, which I use with the Sony EX1. Rockin' little monitors, I'm glad you enjoy yours too!!
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

David,

As you're located in a PAL country like myself, do you have any low-light area noise in your DP1 that was reported to be present by other PAL users?
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Piotr,

What I have noticed, and is was quite 'dramatic', was that after aligning the monitor to colour bars as per tutorials, the settings ended up pretty much in the middle of the range.

That said, the dramatic part was that real images looked quite strange, so with a slight increase in brightness, reduction in chroma saturation and some extra contrast to up the 'dynamics' of the picture, I now have a great looking image.

I just took delivery of my batteries 2 days ago (thanks very much for the quick turn around SmallHD) so I have not had a chance to check out the low light noise on a job just yet as has been posted by others previously. From memory, I understand that the noise is not restricted to PAL settings.

I will post my findings once I have had the monitor in situ. I am waiting to take delivery of Zacuto Zamerican articulated arm, clamp & quick release attachment either today or tomorrow. Then I am fully mobile with the kit.

Best wishes
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Can't wait to hear more about your use of the SmallHD. Planning to get one soon and it looks very promising.
Evan Agee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
David,

As you're located in a PAL country like myself, do you have any low-light area noise in your DP1 that was reported to be present by other PAL users?
Hey Piotr, I'm also a PAL dweller and did a fair bit of testing on the "noise issue". I came to a setting similar to David that also made me happy.

Here is my long winded perception of the noise issue.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1206914-post220.html

And here is the "behind the scenes" full 10mp "straight out of my camera" unprocessed picture i promised in the post but dvinfo shrank down to a more realistic size. hehe.
http://www.lakeflyproductions.com/stuff/DSC07594.JPG

That jpeg shows a bit of a unique scenario where my lighting and the smallhd were similar brightness, so it gives an unusual insight into exactly how the dp1 looks in action to the naked eye. If you have photoshop, you can zoom in to 1:1 and have a look at the monitor in context and roughly full pixel representation. Hope that helps and holler if you have any questions!

Cheers!
-andrew

Last edited by Andrew Dean; November 1st, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

New Ex1 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks View Post
I'm a proud owner of two SmallHD DP1s, which I use with the Sony EX1. Rockin' little monitors, I'm glad you enjoy yours too!!
I have read as many threads on this topic as I could. I am 99% convinced to buy a DP1. On your EX1 what output cable and output menu settings do you use?

TIA, Rob_L
Rob Lagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

DP1 is Heating up with automatic shutdown

The DP1 bundle reached to me on 5th of this month. I use it for PMW Ex3 on nanoFlash HDMI output. On 6th and 7th it worked very well but today it is getting heated with frequent shutdown. One battery’s charging light remains red, after it is fully charged and even after removing it from charger. Please help me I am very tensed. I am in India very far from the smallHD office.
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Major Player

Email smallHD or call them via skype. Best of luck!
Old December 8th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramji Meena View Post
The DP1 bundle reached to me on 5th of this month. I use it for PMW Ex3 on nanoFlash HDMI output. On 6th and 7th it worked very well but today it is getting heated with frequent shutdown. One battery’s charging light remains red, after it is fully charged and even after removing it from charger. Please help me I am very tensed. I am in India very far from the smallHD office.
Ramkji,

This is the second forum post on this subject. It is much more efficient to contact us directly. We do not monitor the forums for support issues. I replied to your previous post, and sent you two private emails. Our support team also sent emails to your hotmail account. Replying to those requests will allow us to resolve you problem as quickly as possible.

As I have mentioned in the previous post, please contact.
info@smallhd.com
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I am sorry.It was a panic reaction.I thought some user can through light on this.Now it is not getting started so there seem to be some serious problem with the unit.Anyway I have written to SmallHD team and waiting for there reply

Last edited by Ramji Meena; December 9th, 2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: accidentely loaded half written
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Ramji,

Small HD will look after you, no matter how far away you are. They did for me very quickly when I received a dead battery. No need to panic.

Best wishes
Old December 10th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lagerstrom View Post
I have read as many threads on this topic as I could. I am 99% convinced to buy a DP1. On your EX1 what output cable and output menu settings do you use?

TIA, Rob_L
Hey Rob,

Sorry for the long lag on the reply - I use the Component output from the EX1 - it's very easy to set this up - pretty much plug and play. The DP1 needs minor adjustment to the Overscan settings to display the picture right - but that's the joy of this monitor... it's extremely easy to do and takes only seconds.

You'll really love your DP1. SmallHD will take good care of you!
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #14
Regular Crew

My DP1 battery worked once and once only... for 25 minutes. Won't charge. I guess I am going to send it back when I send the monitor for a firmware upgrade.

tone
Anthony Lovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #15
New Boot

We are really sorry about the battery. Contact support to get this resolved today. See private forum message for next steps.

-reed

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software