SmallHD Dp6 (aka DP-SLR) pre Review - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 8th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #46
Major Player

trying to decide whether to buy the non-sdi one or wait for the sdi version. It7s $400 cheaper to buy it wothout sdi. Question is whether I am going to get the sharpness I need out of the EX1 through component as I don't have hdmi. I need the monitor primarily for focus so will the component be enough? And what do we know about how much the sdi upgrade for the non-sdi units will cost? $400? :)
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Damian,

Actually, component and SDI will look identical. If that's your main concern, you shouldn't have a problem using the component ports - that's what they're there for!
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #48
New Boot

Just ordered mine today. This review was the last bit of info I needed to make my decision. Thanks for sharing Andrew!
Anthony Mwamwenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #49
Major Player

can anyone comment on the rough turnaround time from purchase to delivery? it says they're backordered.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #50
New Boot

Well I am not sure what the website is saying now (I didn't look) but when I ordered mine (NON SDI version) it said "ships within 5 business days". I ordered on a Weds or Thurs (can't remember which) and had it in my hands the following Thurs. Granted I did pay for next day air shipping.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

G.
Greg Robison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:01 AM   #51
Major Player

dp6 on 16mm!

Heya,

I've been gaffing and gripping a featurette shot on 16mm film. Its been an interesting challenge gripping the heavier rigs after doing so much dslr work.

On the last few days shoots we've had slider and tabletop shots where it wasn't possible for the dp to keep his eye on the eyepiece. We've been using a video tap to allow the director to see what we're filming, so when the challenge came up, i popped a bnc T on and was able to run the dp6 on camera as well. The dp6 was kinda overkill as the video tap is pretty terrible, but the DP was pretty thrilled to be able to frame the shots despite some pretty intense sun. Turning off the monitor when setting up new shots has meant that we've gotten two full days out of one of smallhd's batteries.

Anyways, here's a photo of the dp6 on the film rig.

Cheers!
-a

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1287831687
Attached Thumbnails
SmallHD Dp6 (aka DP-SLR) pre Review-dp6film.jpg  
Andrew Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #52
Major Player

New Firmware 1.2!

Heya,

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this, but smallHD released firmware 1.2 which changes a few things.

Colors are WAY truer now. I'm still needing to do more tests on exposure, but it looks like its shaping up to be pretty powerful.

False Colors! Heh, it sounds ironic after the previous sentence, but they've introduced false colors so you can judge exposure by looking for specific color tones.

They've also made the "back" button function as a second shortcut button. When not in a menu, pressing it triggers whatever action you assign to the button. The new factory default is one of the buttons is false colors, the other is focus assist. Seems to make sense, and makes using those features (which are quite obtrusive when you dont want them) super fast to flick on and off.

Its looking pretty sweet. Definitely if you have a dp6, download it.

Cheers!
-a
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #53
Wrangler

Andrew:

Referring back to your previous post, always good to keep in mind that T-ing off a video source will reduce the voltage which may result in a darkening of the image. The HD-SDI version of the monitor has a loop-through which should always be used in that situation, since exposure is usually judged from an HD monitored image.
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Dean View Post
Heya,

Anyways, here's a photo of the dp6 on the film rig.

Cheers!
-a

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1287831687
Out of interest: what slider is that?
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #55
Trustee

Looks like a Kessler Cineslider
Old October 31st, 2010, 02:35 AM   #56
Major Player

Yup, its a cineslider. That has turned out to be one of my favorite toys. I haven't had much success with the "crank arm" for sliding, as its quite difficult to get smooth, but a tiny bit of resistance and trailing a finger along the side while sliding has been great.

As to the composite split... well, yeah. I knew when popping the T on that we'd be losing voltage, but at that point we were just using the dp6 for framing, so it was our best choice. On a similar topic, the tap on the camera was pretty awful. The video feed was not square in the frame and most of the frame was horribly out of focus. We were only using the tap as a director's guide to the shot so it worked for that, and for framing up the slider, but It was pretty unreal.

HD-SDI would certainly be preferred... if only the camera had it. Hehe. It only barely had composite.

Thats the mystery and magic of film though. The viewfinder was horribly yellowed and the video tap was almost like a cataract simulator yet the captured footage was stunning. A much more expensive and newer camera would have been much easier to shoot with, but ultimately with the same lenses probably wouldn't have looked any different. I'm so used to digital that its hard to keep in my head that the "sensor" on film cameras is rolling past the gate and can be easily "installed" in most other film cameras with minimal effort. Weird. I started my career on film, but its funny how accustomed to the digital world I've become.
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:59 AM   #57
Wrangler

Suprising to hear that the viewfinder image was yellow--usually Aatons have good-looking, bright viewfinders. The Aaton taps progressed quite a bit over the years but sounds like you might have had an older one that's seen some abuse! Can't tell from the pic--is that a base model XTR?

You do bring up an interesting point. I shoot less and less film every year and each time it's a bit of a mental adjustment to go back to the old methodology of lighting to eye and meter. Modern video taps have gotten quite good (Arri even has an HD tap now although I have yet to see it on an actual set) but it's always going to be just an approximation. For those who have only shot digital, that's going to be a strange concept.
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM   #58
Major Player

what does the DP 6 come with

They use to have a kit package that came with the sun shade and the screen protectors. I guess now
its alacarte

Doug
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:45 AM   #59
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Tessler View Post
They use to have a kit package that came with the sun shade and the screen protectors. I guess now
its alacarte

Doug
The response I got: "Sorry, we have no bundles or forum discounts at the moment. We may do a US bundle in early 2011, but that has not been decided."

:/
Michael Kadlubkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Well from a business perspective it would be silly to offer any bundles when your product is in such high demand that it is always back-ordered. Bundling only makes sense when sales/demand tappers off or you are overstocked.

Having said that from OUR perspective its bitter sweet as those bundles for the DP1 which included free international shipping were amazing.
Paul Cook is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software