SmallHD Dp6 (aka DP-SLR) pre Review - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: SmallHD Dp6 (aka DP-SLR) pre Review

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a SmallHD DP6 last weekend at the end of the bundled offer period.
WOW! It sure beats trying to see what is happening on the XH-A1's viewfinder or LCD.
With 4x the real estate of the A1's LCD, this monitor is a tremendous help for old eyes.
I cannot wait to use the monitor with the sunshade attached for outdoor shooting.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #62
Major Player

I am very much interested in a DP6 to aid focusing on mt Canon 60D. Is the low-res output from the 60D HDMI when filming going to be sufficient or is it only really worth the purchase when connected to something like the 7D which outputs a high-res signal?
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #63
Major Player

Dan,

The focus peaking helps out even though the resolution is not there. Have you checked out the Zacuto EVF?
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2011, 03:04 AM   #64
Major Player

Hi Greg, yeah, saw the Zacuto EVF but when I start ramping up my 60D usage it will probably be on a monopod which could be awkard to use with an EVF. I do like the idea of the DP4 which is both monitor and EVF when needed but I think the 4.8 screen would be too small to pull accurate focus on its own.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #65
Major Player

I have shot a lot with a Canon 7D on a monopod and using a monitor would not be very productive. I would think that an EVF or even better a Z Finder would be your best option. I find that I need to have the camera up against something solid to help with stability. I think that a monitor hanging off the camera would make it more unstable.

Just my opinion though...

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Just had an email from SmallHD to say that my DP6 is awaiting collection by UPS . . .

I'm 63 in March - perhaps I shouldn't be getting so excited about photographic gadgets at my age - but I think its a good thing.

I intend to use it on the Canon EOS 5D Mk2 and on the Sony EX1R.

Thanks to Andrew for this great 'Ramble' - it certainly sealed the deal for me.
Old November 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #67
Major Player

Daniel,
I use the dp6 on a monopod on every gig. I use a long plan tripod adapter as shown below:
internet - fiskephotography's Photos
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software