Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs

So, if you use a 550D, how long would it take for it to jump to the SD input it that sends out once you press record? And is the screen still useable to focus with at that resolution?

Seems like a good option :)
Sander Vreuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I can't help you on the 550D. I can tell you that it's about 2 seconds for it to switch on the 5DII and of course it's instantaneous on the 7D.

To turn the monitor on you have to hold the power button for a couple of seconds and then it takes another second or two to give you a display when you put the 5DII into liveview/movie mode.

So from my experience I'd say it's the monitor waiting for the camera, not the other way around.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #33
Inner Circle

I haven't turned mine on yet, but I'm excited, it's a very nice little piece of hardware. It looks beautiful on top of the camera. I'm very pleased. I'm charging the battery now.
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #34
Major Player

I shot a human interest piece for US Youth Soccer today. While prepping my camera for the shoot I decided to use my new Sony Clip-on LCD Monitor, thinking it would really help framing the shots. It was a beautiful sunny day so I clipped on the hood. When I got out to shoot at the soccer field and turned everything on you could barely tell it was even on. The lcd on the camera was far more useful than the Sony Clip-on LCD Monitor. Inside during playback the monitor really looks beautiful. I just wish it worked better outside.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I'm sorry to hear that, Ron. I still haven't shot with mine. I'll be trying it outdoors Monday.
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #36
Regular Crew

>>I'm sorry to hear that, Ron. I still haven't shot with mine. I'll be trying it outdoors Monday. <<

Jeff, did you get a chance to try the monitor, and what are your impressions?
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Ron, I love the monitor. The included hood is very nice. The image is crystal clear...I haven't used it outdoors as I said I would. I've barely played with it.

If you have a GH2, the GH2 will not do TV out for 720p, which is beyond belief to me and very frustrating.

The monitor is very well made for consumer grade, it is first class, and seems to be the perfect size for the camera. Considering it has an audio jack for previewing audio, which I haven't used, I can't see how a monitor for $350 could be any better.

The shoe adpater is extremely solid and the monitor is not wiggly at all, it's a very secure fit.

Based on my limited use of it, I highly recommend it.
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #38
Major Player

I also like the monitor and yes, it looks very nice indoors. I have only done that one shoot outside and it was useless on the sunny day. I hope that there is a setting that will make it work better in the sun. I have yet to play with it sense then. I tried the headphone jack and it only worked on playback on my Canon 7d.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Jeff....are you saying the Sony won't work with the GH2??

Thanks
Mark
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #40
Inner Circle

No, Mark, the GH2 and the Sony work well together, but only in 1080 modes. I had planned to shoot in 720p for various reasons important to my workflow, so this was a disappointment to me.

If you plan to use 1080 modes, a monitor will work fine.

This is a camera restriction, has nothing to do with the monitor.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Gotcha!! Thanks

Mark
Mark Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM   #42
Inner Circle

I used the monitor yesterday at a wedding reception, it worked out very well. People noticed it, and I got a few remarks on how "cool" it looked.
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #43
Inner Circle

My beautiful sony monitor is for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

It is truly heartbreaking that I cannot use it. My cam will not shoot in 720p with the monitor hooked up, and that is the mode I must shoot in. I am selling just to get it out of my sight. I used it Saturday (in 1080i 24p mode) and it was absolutely stunning, impressed the people at the wedding and it impressed me as well. I cannot however abide the look of my footage after it's been converted from 24p.
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Does the Sony CLM-55V monitor have a tripod socket? My Sony XR-500V camcorder's AIS shoe (with cold shoe adapter) will be used for a shoe-mounted mic. I would want to mount the camcorder with mic on a tripod and then use some sort of bracket to mount the monitor to the tripod. If the monitor doesn't mount to a standard 1/4" tripod screw, are there other alternatives for mounting it next to a camcorder that is on a tripod?
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Yes, it's called an articulating arm. But to buy what you need it is best to go somewhere in person that has what you want, to make sure what you buy works for you.

Articulating arms are available at B&H, Manfrotto's "Magic Arm" is just one variation of it. The magic arm is pricey, and I think too heavy duty/bulky for what you need.

There is a photography store in N. Kentucky, one of the last ones left in the area. They fixed me up with the right hardware, which included an arm, extender, clamp and shoe mount for the end of the arm. The clamp alone was $40, the shoe mount was $20, the arm was $40. I got a great deal, all top quality stuff.

You clamp the arm to your tripod handle, and it works perfectly,and moves with your head.

Don't ask me details, the guy just ran around the store, got the stuff, and put it together for me. I sold my monitor, and don't use mine anymore, but I may use it in the future, as it can be used to mount lights, mics, anything. Very cool stuff.

Call b&h, tell them you want something like the magic arm but not a heavy, and someone there will know exactly what to sell you. Just have to find the right guy.

The store I used has no more of the arms, and they cannot remember where they got them from, as I wanted another one at the time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software