Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs

Can someone tell me a height measurement from bottom of hot shoe adapter to the top of the monitor?

Thanks!
Chris Rentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #47
Regular Crew

5 5/8" with the adapter straight up. Can't imagine you're run it that way though.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale McClelland View Post
Does the Sony CLM-55V monitor have a tripod socket?
The shoe adapter screws into a 1/4 20 thread in the bottom of the monitor and the adapter itself also has a 1/4 20 thread in the bottom of it. So yes, you could mount it to a tripod.
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #49
Inner Circle

I should add that with the arm I mentioned you are able to position the monitor directly next to your camera.
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Candlish View Post
5 5/8" with the adapter straight up. Can't imagine you're run it that way though.
Yeah I only have 4-1/2" headroom once I mount my camera on my halorig (a fig rig wanna be) before it hits the underneath part of the rig.

When you say "Can't imagine you're run it that way though." what do you mean? I suppose I would be angling it back a few degrees? Maybe that would make the clearance.

Thanks, Chris
Chris Rentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I should add that with the arm I mentioned you are able to position the monitor directly next to your camera.
Thanks, Jeff (and also Kirk) for the info regarding the tripod socket on the Sony monitor. We have a small local photography shop here. When I get the monitor (it shipped today) I'll take my items there and see what they can do.

Also I saw this item in another forum:

A couple of crappy pics of mounted monitor: Sony SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (the author's title, not mine)

It's a Manfrotto 430 11" Long Plate Double Camera Platform. It looks a little longer than I would like, but I'll look for something similar, but a few inches less in length.

EDIT: Upon further thought, I don't think that 430 or similar device will work for me. It attaches directly to a tripod via a 3/8" mount. I want my video head on the tripod with the camcorder (plus mic) attached to the head, and the monitor mounted to the tripod in such a way that panning the video head doesn't pan the monitor. So I think Jeff's articulating arm suggestion is the best, or maybe only, option.

By the way for anyone reading this who is considering ordering the monitor, I ordered it last night from Amazon for $339.26. It is still that price today as I write this. That's about the best price I have seen.
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rentzel View Post
I suppose I would be angling it back a few degrees? Maybe that would make the clearance.
Exactly. Whether you're shooting with the camera below eye level you'll be angling it.
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #53
Inner Circle

I don't know what could be a better solution for the monitor. It was a sweet setup, and very impressive looking. I agree the bar is not so hot. I have a much larger one, and have two heads on it for two cameras, it is convenient, but how awkard and heavy it is..
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Sorry to be-labor my questions about mounting the CLM-V55 on a tripod, but I have another question about Jeff's articulating arm method.

I have researched the Manfrotto Super Clamp and Magic arm and now understand their purpose. They are bigger/heavier than I need for the monitor, but assuming for the moment I use them or smaller versions of the same concept, this is my question:

I understand how the clamp attaches to the tripod, and how the arm attaches to the clamp. The monitor arrived today and now I see that I see it, I don't want to mount it directly via to a tripod stud. I will want to use the shoe mount adapter that came with it because that is what provides the tilt capability. What I don't understand is what piece has a shoe mount on it that the monitor's shoe adapter will attach to.

Jeff, in addition to the arm and the clamp, in your earlier post you mentioned an "extender" and a "shoe mount for the end of the arm". Can you describe those for me? Which piece has the shoe that the monitor mounts on? And what is the sequence of the pieces after the arm is attached to the clamp? (Extender attaches to arm and the the shoe adapter attaches to the extender and the monitor to the shoe adapter -- or do I have it backwards)?

Sorry to be so dense, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what I need. If the small local photography shop can't fix me up, I will need to order something from B&H, so I want to understand what to order. So if Jeff or anyone else can provide some guidance, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #55
Regular Crew

The shoe mount adapter has a 1/4 20 threaded socket in the base.

You should be able to screw your tripod into it and have the full benefits of this mount.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Thanks Kirk, now that you mention it, I see the tripod socket in the end of one of the adapters (but not the other one - I'm not sure which adapter I need to use yet). But I have a video head mounted on my tripod's threaded stud, with the camcorder/quick attach plate mounted on the head. So that leaves no place to screw the monitor's adapter onto? (I would mount the monitor in my Sony camcorder's AIS shoe (with cold shoe adapter), but I have a Rode microphone in the shoe.)

I don't want to use a second tripod for the monitor. I will be using the whole setup at my grandchildren's elementary school plays and programs where my tripod already takes up more floor space in the crowded gym than I would like (or the parents of the other kids would like).
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #57
Regular Crew

I missunderstood, thought you wanted to mount it to the triod.

Do a search for Tecnec brand mount PD-05020 or something similar at the usual vendors
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs-pd-05020.jpg  
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #58
Regular Crew

There are plenty of monitor mount options out there. You need something double the shoe mount or attach to the tripod leg. Here's a couple more options.

Welcome to Cineroid Homepage!
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Candlish View Post
I missunderstood, thought you wanted to mount it to the triod.

Do a search for Tecnec brand mount PD-05020 or something similar at the usual vendors
I probably misled you when I asked in an earlier post if the monitor has a tripod socket.

Thanks for your advice. I will look for a product like the Tecnec and will also look at the Cineroid link you posted.
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software