4 cameras on one screen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

4 cameras on one screen?

I need to find a cost effective way to being able to monitor 4 video cameras on one screen. I've seen some great looking monitors out there with SDI inputs and such, but they break the bank. Ideally, I'd like to take 4 cameras and have it combine them into a single video signal so I can see each camera on a quarter of the screen.

Basically, I need something so I can see basic framing when I'm calling shows. I'd like to have even the component outputs of the cameras feed my screen so that I can tell an op when they aren't framing correctly. Hi def is not critical for these needs.

I've seen some pretty low-end things out there for survalence, but I really don't know what level of quality they provide. I don't need a super high-end picture, but I would like it to not completely suck.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

--Ben
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 4 cameras on one screen?

If you can use a normal composite signal you can get a cheap security camera multiplexer.

If you need a SDI quad multiplexer that is not a cheap item. They start at about $2500.
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Like this one:

4-Channel H.264 DVR Security System with 7 Inch LCD Screen (2x SATA HDD Interfaces)

I'm sure they have a webpage with USD prices.

This box has four composite camera inputs, each with sound, and two separate outputs, one composite and one VGA.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Major Player

If it's only for framing why not buy four cheap analog lcd's and mount them on a frame.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've thought about doing something like that, but it requires time- something I don't have much of right now. I'm also trying to keep it relatively small as I have a huge amount of stuff that I'm pulling into the field already. Between cameras, sound gear, etc... there is a lot in my car.

In an ideal world, there would be a device that would combine 4 signals and output on a VGA plug so I could use some of my older road-racked LCD monitors (from old DAWs).

I've also considered the security camera thing, but as I mentioned before I have no idea about quality of a lot of those things. While I don't need something that is super high-end, I do need to be able to tell what's going on and some of the security camera rigs are pretty horrible looking.

Basically, I've had some communication issues with camera ops in the past that have resulted in questionable footage for an edit. Being able to see what they are doing exactly would solve those problems.

--Ben
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Trustee

If you want something *affordable* AND good quality, then you must spend time designing something yourself. If you want something with good quality but cannot spend any time on it, then it will cost you considerably more for a turnkey system.

For low cost, I would contact someone like Olof from Westside-AV who is on this forum and ask him to build a system that can hold 4 5" LCDs with all of your requirements such as being rack-mounted or being powered from some AB or V-mount batteries and/or having a power strip/surge protector built into the backside so you would need only a single extension cable to power it. Olof has offered to custom build equipment for me and many others; so, I would trust his ability to design something affordable.

Also, I believe BlackMagic Designs might have some dual and quad display systems which are rack-mountable and very affordable.

The low cost surveillance systems I have seen offer either: 1) good real-time viewing but low image quality or 2) poor real-time viewing and good image quality. Usually, the better the image, the lower the frame rate which is designed to keep the bandwidth at affordable levels. Recording multiple video sources at 30fps requires a lot of bandiwdth so there is a give and take between image quality and fps.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Maas View Post
I need to find a cost effective way to being able to monitor 4 video cameras on one screen. ... Hi def is not critical for these needs.... I don't need a super high-end picture, but I would like it to not completely suck.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.
--Ben
Nvidia has a series of cards that can just about do what you want. See my second reply here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-...lay-array.html

It should work great for 4 SD signals.
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Check out the Decimator-Quad. It takes 4 SDI signals and combines them into one SDI or composite output. I think retail is $765.
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Major Player

Matrox just introduced a new product at NAB, takes 4 HD-SDI inputs and does a quad screen, or switch to full screen of any single input. Called the MicroQuad, under $1000, don't believe it is shipping yet

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera View Post
Matrox just introduced a new product at NAB, takes 4 HD-SDI inputs and does a quad screen, or switch to full screen of any single input. Called the MicroQuad, under $1000, don't believe it is shipping yet

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

It's a shame they don't have sdi out.
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Wrangler

To clarify what Marshall mentioned, the Decimator Quad will deliver a quad split via composite and SD-SDI output. The MD-Quad will do the same but also deliver HD-SDI output as well as HDMI (so you can use a low cost consumer flat screen) as well as some other features. The Decimator Quad costs $765 and the MD Quad is $1425.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software