Alphatron EVF mounts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 24th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Alphatron EVF mounts

While I wait for the new Alphatron to be released, I'm looking at ways to mount it on my F900.
I will probably need a hybrid of DSLR type mounts.
Most mounts being offered are for F3 and FS700 and the like, via cheeseplates and dovetail rails.
There is mention here of Genus bringing out EVF supports for the Alphatron on 15mm rods;
Genus Alphatron EVF support

Here are some others on offer:
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Alphatron EVF mounts

Elements EVF Mini Clutch for Alphatron Kit
Attached Thumbnails
Alphatron EVF mounts-e_evf_mount.png  
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Letus Master Cinema Series Electronic Viewfinder Knuckle
Attached Thumbnails
Alphatron EVF mounts-letus-mcs-evf-knuckle.jpg  
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Solid Camera EVF Support System
Attached Images

Old June 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kapp View Post
I have this one for my dp4 and am not very happy with it. There is some flex in it and the mounting holes for the whole piece only match one spot on their cage. There is no L-R rotation adjustment either. Only a L-R slide adjustment. Works for tripod mounting but not 100% there for shoulder mount use.
Also, after a month of waiting for it to be shipped, received what appeared to be a well-used unit with digs and scratches. Still haven't received the replacement I was promised and it's two months from my original order!
Beware of Letus!
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My alpahtron evf turned up yesterday. (I'm in oz and they got here early from oz distributor lemac) Very nice!

I am looking for a mount. Leaning towards the solidcamera one, but really want to see what genus/alphatron turn up and when. I cannot find any other info on it. Has anyone encounter any other info about it?

I actually need to get more rigging anyway, I didn't own an fs100, and all my past rigging was more geared towards dof adapters with a big jvc. Leaning towards the movcam cage setup.... but then I already have a great steadicam cage so it seems like it might be overkill. I guess I might start with the bottom parts and the shoulder mount, evf mount then see what I am really missing as I rig up.

I do like the idea of small and light and being able to pack a basic set of rails for lens support, evf mount into a carryon.
Kieran Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The official http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/878930-REG/Alphatron_Broadcast_Electronics_EVF_MOUNT_ALPHATRON_EVF_MOUNT.html
Attached Thumbnails
Alphatron EVF mounts-alphatron_evf_mount.jpg  
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm wondering what Paul and Kieran ended up with for their Alphatrons? Having just purchased an FS700 it is pretty overwhelming trying to choose all the add ons and getting the right evf and mount seems like one of the most important choices. The Solid Camera and Elements look to be the best design while the Alphatron looks to be so long as to have a lot of flex possible. Any input would be appreciated.

mb
Mark Bolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #9
Regular Crew

any mounting options especially designed for C300 ? Also a quick question since i had been on PMW350 (Sony XDCAM) how does this EVF compare to the supplied EVF of the Sony Camcorder ? since the Alphatron is abvout 5,18,000 Pixels vs 9,20,000 pixels of Sony EVF
Roger Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I've been on the sideline busy to be honest. I've been using a noga arm in the meanwhile.

Definetly has its drawbacks, but I've either been on levelpod or sticks, not shouldermount or handheld.

I've found the brightness on a sun day at the snow (where I have used it) not to be what I was expecting. Not sure if I was after a miracle, but I've found turning the brightness up a whole lot just seems to wash it out, and the inbuilt is almost as good (except mounting position).

Its been handy to have both actually doing fast slomo pans (ski jumping) where i've been visually switching from one to the other mid pan. Some kind of mount off the bottom of the tripod or a bigger screen would be way better.

Mounting wise there is another new contender.

FS700 EVF Brackets: Westside A V Studios WEB Store

Olof, who has been posting in these forums. Looks interesting and solid. I wonder how it compares to Alistairs jimmyed up one. Might stand the test of needing to have no tilt.
Kieran Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #11
Trustee

Hi Paul,
I have been looking at the Alphatron as a replacement EVF on my Sony PMW500. I'm wondering how has this setup been going for you and also which mount did you end up going with to mount the Alphatron.

Cheers,
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Tourist

Hello

For a cameraman colleague I have designed and build a mount for his Alphatron EVF monitor. With that Bracket you can fix the Alphatron on every Sony or Panasonic ENG Camera.
Unfortunately, it is not possible here to embed images, so I've created in my profile a album, in which you can look at this bracket.

The Digital Video Information Network

For more Pictures, please follow this Link:
Alphatron EVF mount for a ENG Camera

If there is interest, then please contact me by email.

With kind regards,
W.T.
Walter Tutschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #13
Trustee

Combine the following two pieces and you get a small compact yet solid but very adjustable mount for an Aalphatron on basically any ENG type camera with a top handle.

This camera handle mount can be found on eBay

Sony PDW F800 PDW F800 Handle Bracket Monitor LCD Mount Adapter Spigot Stud | eBay

and WestsideAV's Alphatron mount can be found here. (half way down the page)

Sony FS700 EVF Brackets

It's solid, two mounting screw points. All up a slim, low profile solution at a resonable price.

WestsideAV also make a D-tap cable to run the EVF from the 12v D-tap on the camera or a battery plate. It must be a REGULATED 12v output otherwise you will cook your Alphatron. I ended up using a modified dummy battery with a D-tap as I found it was the cleanest setup as the Alphatron power input is on the bottom of the viewfinder and sticks out a fair way. The dummy battery can be found at

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/730630-REG/IDX_C_SONC_DC_DC_Cable_for_Sony.html

The WestsideAV Alphatron mount also works very well on my FS700 by the way.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software