Whats wrong with new full HD televisions? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 4th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Whats wrong with new full HD televisions?

This article covers some of the things discussed here! The best thing I ever did for my TV was turning off MotionFlow

Prolost - Blog - Your New TV RuinsMovies
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Nice article describes the issues well. The other thing that the interpolating displays do well that isn't mentioned is to de interlace better than a simple display. Something noticably better on my 240hz Sony than my Panasonic plasma. I too like the picture of plasma though.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
I believe interlace had previously been patented by RCA (?) in the States, and wasn't a British invention. I can't remember the exact story, but I think EMI or Marconi were allowed to use the patent under some agreement - but Baird wasn't. And the rest is (literally :-) ) history.
Thanks for the correction David, I should have checked myself. The EMI team were the first to establish a High Definition (sic) TV system spec for the 1936 launch - the first ever TV video compression method!
As you implied, the Baird Nipkow system, despite being progressive, was seen to be totally irrelevant when 405 line TV appeared, and system A served us well into the '80s. Its a shame that in the UK, the lay answer to the question of who invented TV is usually John Logie Baird, not Alan Blumlein's team at EMI.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
most TV are also set to clean the noise (when not already cleaned by compression) so the picture looks plastic.
Video noise, whether present at source or inherited from the production/transmission chain will consume compression bandwidth as each frame is different. As the last stage in the chain, broadcast transmission usually has the lowest bandwidth and the most aggressive compression, so the codec will just reduce the effective resolution of the video so that it looks 'plasticky' when the edge sharpening does its thing. If the edge sharpening is reduced, the plastic effect will be reduced albeit with an overall softer picture.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #20
Major Player

Going back to the initial post on this thread I agree with those that say the issue is the hz the TV is running at.

I jumped on the 120hz bandwagon when they first came out and promptly found out that while it was good for sports it made filmed shows looks like video and completely lost the filmic look we are conditioned to.

My family hated it and I immediately disabled the 120hz feature and have run it at 60hz. The difference is amazing.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Major Player

At 60hz is it possible to play 24fps at exactly 24hz or do you get the 2:3 pulldown cadence from telecined film into video?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #22
Inner Circle

At 60hz display rate you will have pulldown for 24/23.97 sources.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #23
Major Player

first thing to do with a new tv is turn every 'feature' off. then on one by one, see what/how they change the image and if you like them. i prefer all the true-motion/smooth-motion/120+ hz crap disabled. same with the automatic adjusting contrast, ultra contrast or color modes, etc.

i calibrate mine with my DSLR and images i have taken to my liking. This is a long-standing 'war' in my house; the woman likes most of that stuff on, hates 'jittery' 24P, and likes everything ultra colored and with all the contrast the TV can supply. That said, she is a far better photographer and editor than i; ill just never understand her tastes lol. Her preferences even make the ultra flat skittles commercials look like they are all lego people.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software