Well, it's time to bust a def rhyme - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Well, it's time to bust a def rhyme

Steve, unfortunately I don't believe B&H carries TVLogic. I got mine at FilmTools.

One thing about all peaking functions is that it can still give you errors. It really depends on how sensitive you set it. Peaking functions look for hard contrast edges to see what is in focus. So, it can be fooled. Also, you'll notice, when you are panning the peaking function is not accurately displayed, The best way that I've found to accurately nail focus is to premeasure distances and mark them on your lens or follow focus unit. People think I'm crazy when I set up my FF during an interview or such, but it isn't just for pulling focus. It allows me to mark focus zones which I can quickly go to. Knowing your DOF is also essential so that you can tell when you're within the focus range and you don't see any hunting during manual focus.

Most important functions to me for a monitor are accurate framing, nailing exposure, and focus assistance. That's just me and everybody I've worked with has a slightly different mode of operation and so have different requirements for their monitors. Best situations for me are when the colorist is on set with their nice big calibrated production monitor so they can really help to nail exposure for the magic they will pull of in post. And, when you've got a good focus puller on set it really helps too. On small budget productions like most of what I do, we usually don't have that luxury. But when we do the results are noticeable especially when we have complex blocking, lots of camera moves, and a lot of action.
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Inner Circle

It's done. I ordered AC7 OLED Field Monitor and LCD Field Monitor Specifications today. It apparently will take 2 weeks to get it, so I'll have to wait to play. I researched to death and sometimes you just know when you're done researching and need to push the red button. Thanks for all the information guys, I've put off a purchase like this long enough. :}
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
It's done. I ordered AC7 OLED Field Monitor and LCD Field Monitor Specifications today. It apparently will take 2 weeks to get it, so I'll have to wait to play. I researched to death and sometimes you just know when you're done researching and need to push the red button. Thanks for all the information guys, I've put off a purchase like this long enough. :}
Congrats Steven. You're right about researching a purchase to death. I'm definitely guilty of that. From the initial specs and my past experience with SmallHD equipment you should be very happy. Please report back on real world usage once you've had a chance to live with it.
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks Garrett. I'm looking forward to it, I really wanted something I could use in a variety of ways, and since we shoot both stills and video, I expect this thing to get a lot of use.

Besides, what guy doesn't like new toys!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software