Lilliput Monitor *IPS LED, 720P, 7in* $300-660 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old May 30th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #61
Regular Crew

Re: Lilliput Monitor *IPS LED, 720P, 7in* $300-660

I just got the o/p version yesterday. I am connecting it to a Nikon D7000 which has a really weird hdmi out mode .. in any case. 1:1 mode seems to work just fine - I did not see anything garbled.
Compared to the nikon screen, this one seemed a bit off. It was too saturated and the tint was off a little. I hooked up the screen to my laptop (via displayport to hdmi adapter). I was hoping to use it as a second monitor occasionally, but what's weird is that from the computer, I cannot get a 1:1 pixel ratio when putting the resolution at 1280x800... I am not sure if it's the laptop or the screen but there's some scaling happening. In any case, I ran it through a Spyder 3 calibrator and in user mode was able to get the colors to be even. Here are the values I used:
R:135
G:124
B:129

I then compared the picture with that of the nikon by eye-balling it and set saturation to 34 and brightness to 48 to get it to look about the same

The build quality seems decent - the casing is actually metal. I am using knock-off canon batteries ($30 for 2 batteries and a charger from some company called "wasabi power"). I havent done any scientific measurements yet but seems to go about 2 hours before dying. Wish there was a battery level meter.
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #62
Regular Crew

and for those that do use it with a computer - can you get it to display 1:1 without any weird scaling/sharpening artifacts?
Old June 1st, 2013, 01:25 PM   #63
New Boot

Has anybody found any monitor yokes that fit this perfectly?
Michael Desiderio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #64
Regular Crew

Lilliput 663 o/p does it have DSLR scaling?

Hello guys...the price is really attractive...can anyone confirm that it has a DSLR scaling for Canon dslrs? you know, the moment I hit record the screen on the external monitor shrinks and rez drops to 460p but some monitors compensate for that a bit and keep the pic full size (at 480p) and at least the full screen is used? (mostly to calm down new clients who don't understand that the actual video being recorded is just fine...)..pls confirm! I don't see a dedicated button on the front of the monitor and the rep from Lilliput tells me that "there is a function in the menu for that"...I just want to know for sure before ordering...
if not IKAN it is!
Thanks
Erick
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #65
Major Player

i'll take a look for you; I believe it does scale but you may have to force it full time. i still use mine a lot; love it actually.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #66
Regular Crew

tikanis Panagiotis! Much appreciated...a friend of mine has this monitor 663 o/p but the manual is not very clear! I found something on the menu that says Camera and the options are 1080i or 480p...not sure what does that...
maybe I'm just confused as to what DSLR scaling is...maybe the marketing I've seen in other monitors' brochures got me! I own the Canon 70D and If I press the button labelled "info" on the camera- the display goes away and the pic fills the screen..If I start recording while the pic is full screen, it stays fullscreen-but without the info on the screen...hmm..so what is this DSLR scaling other monitors claim to provide?
thanks for your help
Erick
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #67
Major Player

Yiasou Erick!

(I love Toronto by the way; Montreal as well!) I have one t2i a friend is borrowing until friday night; ill connect it to the Lilliput and figure it out for you and post the menu sequence here; i have a launch model 663 O/P so i still have the garbled screen issue here and there (never sent it in for fix/replacement) but i will do the best i can.

Im a huge fan of these monitors; most of the people that rented them ended up buying them.

Ill be in touch and post here.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #68
Regular Crew

thanks again Panagiotis. I just want a decent monitor with a higher resolution than my current Marshall 800x480. I know i will use the zebra stripes for sure but not much else. I don't understand what the 1to 1pixel is or what it does!!
thanks!
Erick
Old November 15th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #69
Sponsor: Camera Motion Research

We've been testing many monitors, including the Lilliput 663, to find the right monitors to sell with our Radian wireless HDMI sets. Still testing more, and the jury is still out for us.

But, we do have monitor yokes available, and with adjustable yoke height that works great with the 663. Please note introductory pricing ends 11/20/2013. Camera Motion Research - Camera Stabilization and Wireless HDMI Video

Rich Greb
Camera Motion Research
Attached Thumbnails
Lilliput Monitor *IPS LED, 720P, 7in* 0-660-monitor-test.jpg   Lilliput Monitor *IPS LED, 720P, 7in* 0-660-lilliput-663.jpg  

Rich Greb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:24 AM   #70
Regular Crew

Hi there. Can anyone who owns the lilliput 663 confirm or deny that the headphone jack outputs audio when a clip is playing back from the DSLR - i have a Canon 70D. I know that most canons don't carry audio ovr HDMI when recording but playback should be ok. If i can hear playback audio in the headphone of the lilliput that would be useful for me when having a client review a take and he/she demands to listen to the good take. The tiny speaker on the Dslr is not good enough.
Pls pls confirm.thanks
E
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:43 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Although I don't normally use the 663 this way, I was interested to check it out.

The short answer is yes - it plays back as it should, audio over HDMI from a Canon 60D. No audio on record.

The 663's menu system is, um, very counterintuitive, and you do need to enable one of the 4 assignable knobs to control volume. It was enough to drive a pair of Sennheiser HD280 cans, these are not particularly sensitive.
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:00 AM   #72
Regular Crew

update: thanks Seth. when I do paid corporate videos I use a Tascam DR100 mkii for audio with sennheiser G|2 wireless- I connect the \tascam line out (with the special attenuator cable) to my DSLR and so I get double audio recording...and the Tascam audio is better sure but the sennheiser gives a strong signal and if I keep the recording level relatively low in my Canon |t3i and now the Canon 70D then the audio recorded in the DSLR is very acceptable. In some instances when I don't really need the |Tascam then I just connect the sennheiser directly into the Canon 70D and now at least I can do a little test and with the Lilliput 663 I can listen thru the headphones if the sound is acceptable..in playback since no audio is carried over HDMI with the Canon 70D (and several others)- argh Canon! but I love their picture quality and I have lens so...
I got the Lilluput here in Toronto yesterday and I tried the audio in playback and assigned the R1 button to control the volume...but this weekend I will use it for a short interview and I know the client will want to watch and listen his interview after recording it...so when the moment comes to watch the best take, instead of connecting the headphones I will connect a JBL micro II speaker to the headphone jack of the lilliput 663 and I will be able to show the client his picture along with good sound...otherwise there's no way for me to show that I recorded good sound...sure I can play the .wav file on the Tascam but without pic and clients don't undertand what the limitations are with DSLRs...but they love the look!
I will shoot the interview with a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 at telephoto and at f2.0!! wide open! oh yes, I will set the focus to AF face tracking and go for it!
But I confess that the touch screen on the 70D is very handy so I may do away with the Lilliput during recording and just use the camera's touch screen. For sit down interviews I also connect the camera via USB to my mac book pro and use EOS utility which allows me to see (but not hear) the live view coming from the camera in almost real time (slight delay but for interviews not a big deal)
I may use the Lilliput only for playback moments with audio for the client.
So the Lilliput is the cheapest monitor I found with the headphone function that helps me do my job.
If I wanted to be easy I would just use my Canon XF300 at 50mbps 4:2:2 and it would look sharp and get XLR sound etc but I wouldn't get the look only DSLRs can give...

The only thing I just don't understand about some of the new monitors is the DSLR scaling...what exactly does it do? Pressing the info button on the canon DSLR makes the on screen info go away but also zooms in the picture so as long as I press the info button before hitting record I can keep the video full size on the monitor...not sure then what the DSLR scaling does? I don't think the Lilliput has it anyway. But it has a nice 720P resolution and it comes with several goodies that the rest don't. Their customer service was responsive when I email them and that matters to me.
so...great addition to my growing company.
cheers
E
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:49 AM   #73
Major Player

Just thought I'd chime in here with a mini review.. I recently bought a Lilliput 664/w 7" IPS monitor off Ebay (approx $350 USD).

It feels well built, very thin and light but solid enough to handle being knocked around.

A couple of battery plates are included, one for the common Sony NP-F670 battery which provides hours and hours of runtime.

The 1280x720 resolution gives a reasonably sharp image. The IPS panel gives fantastic viewing angles. It's perfect for framing up the shot but I have no clue how accurate the display is in terms of colour representation.

It comes with a large removable sun hood which attaches using velcro. However I prefer the foldable sun hood on the Lilliput 5D-II, as it doubles as a screen protector.

The monitor has a built-in 5.8GHz receiver which can be used with most video transmitters commonly used with aerial drones. I'm not sure if it's the aerial or the receiver itself, but the range is terrible compared to the receiver in my FatShark goggles.

It comes with a bunch of handy accessories; HDMI cable, AV cable, mains power adapter, hotshoe mount and sun hood.

In summary, great monitor. If you can find an Ebay listing that accepts offers, you can save around $50 depending on the seller. Totally worth the money for a budget monitor.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:51 PM   #74
Major Player

Based on the positive reviews here (and a good price) I just picked up a Lilliput 663/o for shooting with my Nikon D600 and Sony Z5U.

A question for those who have some experience - the image I'm getting from my Nikon DSLR does not fill the screen on the Lilliput - there's a large black border around the edge. If I try "1:1" mode, the image is actually too large for the screen and gets cropped. The user manual isn't offering much information - any ideas how to get 100% usage of the monitor's screen? Thanks!

Sam
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 03:35 PM   #75
Regular Crew

hi Sam..does the Nikon have a button similar to the info button on the Canons? This button removes some of the display info and also zooms in the pic on my Lilliput. The trick is to hit before pressing record...and I think it works fine for me...some other monitors I hear have a DSLR scaling option but I didn't get the chance to try them..this Lilliput works just fine for me after some adjustments...does anyone know how to change the sharpness of the display? I think a little less would be better..
Erick

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software