Projector Specs for HD Movie Display at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old August 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Projector Specs for HD Movie Display

I'm currently working to book some screenings for a documentary and would like to see if anyone can help with some guidance for projector specs that will produce an adequate display of my film. The film is 1920x1080p 29.9 fps. I realize the venue can play a big role in the display based on room size, lighting, etc. But I'd like to see if there is some fundamental guidance to follow as I contact various venues to determine how well the projection unit a location has will display the movie. I'm promoting the movie with no budget at libraries and other public places so the locations don't normally get questions about the projector image quality.

The movie is available as an mp4 file (1080p or 720p), dvd, and blu-ray if there are suggestions for inexpensive options for me to purchase and bring to the venues.
Mike Prendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Projector Specs for HD Movie Display

I think the real answer is throw the best quality 1080p source/low compression codec you have at the projector.
I have a DPI Titan Quad 1080p 3D

Projector Detail

that will take anything you can pump through the hdmi connector. but when I put standard def TV signal through the connector it's less sharp and saturated. A good Bluray recording can really make a huge difference in the projected image. Also Hi-Def TV looks much better but now where near as good as bluray..
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Projector Specs for HD Movie Display

a simple rule is to have 1000 lumens per meter of horizontal screen.
if the room is dark, you can go with less.
contrast is a different question that can impact quality more than quantity.
the more ambiant light you get , the more contrast you need. To compensate you could use a gray screen instead a white one.
Gain of screen can help if audience is well in front of screen, do not go for very high gain screen (hot spot and narrow view).
DLP is then better thans LCD for this kind of use.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software