Google Chrome cast as a monitor feed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 11th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Google Chrome cast as a monitor feed?

Would it be possible to put a Google Chromecast in the HDMI slot of a camera and output the signal to a iPad??? Sound sexy hunh...! I wouldn't care about the delay for a client/ producers monitor. It is just the opposite of how it works, so it can't be that hard to reverse engineer? Any ideas?
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Google Chrome cast as a monitor feed?

I just got one of those, but I haven't played with it yet. I could be wrong, but my understanding is that it can only send an incoming signal from some wireless source *into* a monitor. Not out of it, or out of a camera. But hey, it's worth verifying, right?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Google Chromecast is a receiver, so you cannot use the hdmi has a input.
For your purpose you need a nyrius aries pro npcs550 HDMI emitter/receiver set that cost abourt 230$
works very well , even in 3D
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

that is for the wireless part. Unfortunately there is no input on the ipad for direct video connection, so you have to convert the HDMI video from the receiver to a wireless wifi stream.
there is several possibilities.
you take a capture card with hdmi input to a computer and realtime encode to broadcast on wifi.
thart could be a bit technical to setup for amateur, but it is the most powerful/universal setup while stying cheap (if we do not count for the computer)
you can also take a device able to do the same without computer .
Some of these devices even include the wireless part , like the Teradek cube (a bit expensive at around 1500$) or its sibling the Livestream Broadcaster at 500$ but with some limitations (for example the device only works with the New Livestream ,network, so you need an internet connection to send the stream from the device to livestream services and receive from ipad) but there is a iphone/ipad remote control application allowing preview.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software