Looking for a quiet gpu at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 11th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Looking for a quiet gpu

I have used edius 7 without a separate gpu so far, just the gpu on the motherboard (a hd4000), worked fine so far as Edius utilizes that onboard gpu to accelerate h.264 renders and since Edius doesn't require a separate fast card for realtime playback I never bothered buying one.

Recently I bought a 29 inch 21:9 lcd monitor to find out the onboard gpu didn't support the 2650x1080 resolution so I got myself the cheapest card I could find (a 2gb nvidia gt630 that doesn't require additional power, just plug into the motherboard), my pc was very quite before but that ventilator on that nvidia card made a lot of noise, it was a high pitching sound and there was no way to lower the ventilators rpm, so I detached the ventilator but ofcourse temperatures run higher then usual, there is software included to follow up the temp and generally the temp is around 50 degrees when I"m editing but occasionally goes up to 80 degrees.

I know the card should have a ventilator and I"m not sure if a more silent model would fit or if I"m better of just buying a other card, does anyone has experience with good cards that run very quite when they are not stressed? I don't need a gamers card, just a decent one that doesn't draw much power.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Looking for a quiet gpu

I have 2 x Nvidia/PNY Quadro x2000.cards. Each one has 384 GPU's. CPU is an Intel Haswell 6 core/12 thread chip. Not sure how effectively Edius will use all this as I'm just in the process of installing it on this machine, but I need a lot of horsepower for Maxwell Render anyhow. Some high res (10k x 17k) renders run several days for a single image.

The cards run around $350 to $450 each depending on the number of displays and type of display interface.

I don't notice any noise from the graphics cards.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Looking for a quiet gpu

Thx for the tip, probably the quadro cards would be the best option for quite operation, they are only very expensive. Edius doesn't require a fast card, unless you use it's gpu effects (like transitions) for realtime preview but that I never use, so a fast card would be useless in my case as there are no speed benefits involved for preview or rendering dealing with avchd files, I only need a separate card to handle the higher resolutions of my monitor. The cheapest quadro card (a k600) that starts at 1gb memory is 200 euro here, think I"ll start reading several reviews to find a cheap regular card that has a quite operation when not stressed.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software