LCD panel for HD editing - Sony or Dell? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 10th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Inner Circle

LCD panel for HD editing - Sony or Dell?

Looking for comments and feedback on the pros and cons of the Sony SDM-P234/B versus the Dell 2405FPW LCD monitors for editing and previewing HD footage (disregarding the price differences) when working with Sony Vegas or PremPro. Are either of them or both of them good enough and accurate enough for colour correction and critical previewing when editing in Sony Vegas or does one need to jump up to to a broadcast LCD monitor like the Sony Luma to do it properly, using the 234 or 2405 for the editing timeline etc only? If one does jump to the Luma would it fill the jobs of both the main editing screen and the preview screen by itself? Which, if any, of the LCD panels mentioned could suffice for SD previewing as well in order to eliminate the added cost of a broadcast CRT monitor for editing SD?

Is it possible to accurately preview HD on an SD CRT monitor to evaluate colour etc during the edit, converting it to SD on the fly as it goes to the monitor? If one edits using Cineform, does that allow monitoring in SD?
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 01:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

monitor

I've got the Dell 2405FPW LCD and perform high definition edits (proxy mode), and its a great screen. After shipping and tax, it came out to a little over $950. I can't say how it compares to the Sony Screen, and don't have much info on how it compares to professional screens. I guess my post isnt much help at all except that you should be able to find a good deal on the Dell screen if you hunt around. There are deals when you can get that Dell screen and a Dell Dual Core System for a little over $1200.
Christopher Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Cruz
I've got the Dell 2405FPW LCD and perform high definition edits (proxy mode), and its a great screen. After shipping and tax, it came out to a little over $950. I can't say how it compares to the Sony Screen, and don't have much info on how it compares to professional screens. I guess my post isnt much help at all except that you should be able to find a good deal on the Dell screen if you hunt around. There are deals when you can get that Dell screen and a Dell Dual Core System for a little over $1200.
Always been impressed with Dells. Have an XPS Gen2 with a 2001FP screen and this monitor is to add a second screen. I'd have no hesitation about getting it for general computer use and as the main editing screen but whatever I decide on I'd like to be sure it's also usable as a reference monitor for colour correction, compositing, and preview. I'd love to go with a CRT to use for both SD and HD if I could but an HD capable CRT with the necessary cards to drive it is waaaay over budget at this point in time.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I personally don't have any experience with the monitors you listed, but I would like to recommend to you the HP2335. I bought this monitor new last year for $1500. It's discontinued now I think, but you can still get one new for around a thousand bucks. It's the same panel as used by Apple in their 23" flat panels. The HP2335 comes with a 3 year on-site HP warranty, including next day replacements. The monitor also has component, S-video and dsub inputs.
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Dell 2405FPW 24" LCD for $779

Today I saw this headline on the following web page "Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand >> for $779.35 at Dell.com"

If you go to http://www.deals2buy.com/index.htm you'll see one of two Dell codes/coupons that will give you 35% off the monitor (as long as they're still good). I have never seen this monitor selling for $779 - typically Dell has some coupons that allow you to get it for about $900, but this is by far the lowest price I have seen.

One thought regarding the search for the best monitor, is that at $779, this monitor will probably get you where you need to be for now, and two years from now the extra that you would have spent on a Sony or HP will be enough to purchase something even better. Then you'll have a 24in Dell for workflow and whatever else you buy as a monitor. Or, if the Dell suits you, you'll have money for extra gear. :) In any case, hope that someone can take advantage of this deal.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software