Recommended 19" CRT monitor...? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 12th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #1
New Boot

Recommended 19" CRT monitor...?

Hi All

Please advise me on a good quality 19'' CRT monitor. I need to edit SD footage from my XL2 using PrePro . I will also use this monitor for Photoshop.

Thanks!

Ido
Ido Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ido Levy
Hi All

Please advise me on a good quality 19'' CRT monitor. I need to edit SD footage from my XL2 using PrePro . I will also use this monitor for Photoshop.

Thanks!

Ido
I've had three Samsungs, two CRT 19's and one LCD. I've had good success with them. If you do some research, of the consumer grade monitors, Samsung has a good rating. I think CNET did the rating I read.

Keep in mind, a 19 inch CRT is going to put out some heat.
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Trustee

I'd highly recommend a Mitsubishi Diamondtron based monitor. We have a 19" CRT Gateway VX920 with a Mitsubishi Diamondtron tube purchased with a Gateway computer back in 2001, and all I can say is that it is one superb monitor. Later that year Consumer Reports gave it the highest rating among the 19" CRT monitors they tested. I agree with them. ;-)

I've seen the LaCie Electron22blue CRTs recommended for graphics/image editing. From what I've read the series III were better than the newer series IV.

Check out the monitor reviews on these sites.

http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/re...splays/CRT.HTM
http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,1638857,00.asp
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/index.html
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #4
Trustee

I don't know if you would be interested in a 21" CRT, but I think these days you could get a good bargain on one, especially if it was used. If you are interested, I have a list of the best 21" CRTs I developed after a good amount of research back when I was shopping for one not too long ago.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hi All

Thanks!

Ido
Are you looking for a computer display monitor or a video reference monitor for colour correction etc?
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #6
New Boot

I am actually looking for both a desplay monitor and a video reference monitor.
Thanks again for all of you.
Ido Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

For video monitoring, any TV will be A LOT better than even the best computer monitors.

Just any TV will let you see:
overscan
interlace, interlace flicker artifacts
any some other things.

Colors probably won't be accurate on just any TV... you'll probably need a broadcast monitor for that (about $500 upwards). On the other hand, your editing program probably messes up the colors of your video image (i.e. Vegas does this unless you use a secondary display for video preview).

Anyways, just any TV hooked up to your system (use a DV camera or deck on firewire preview) is a lot better than nothing.

2- Do try to calibrate your consumer TV according to the instructions at
www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

If you use the Lee's filter swatchbook for the blue gel trick, it won't work as good as having blue gun/only on your monitor.
Try to disable flesh tone correction if you can figure out what menu setting it is.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Hi All

Thanks!

Ido
You didn't mention budget, but you might look at JVC's SD reference monitors, the TM-H1750CGU and TM-H1950CGU. If high definition is in your future within the next few years, going to something like their DT-V1910CGU or DT-V1010CGU HD/SD monitors, though they're double the price, allows you to stick with SD for now and then add additional input cards later to upgrade to HD rather than having to replace the whole monitor and might prove more economical in the long run.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Personally, I'd say you can't go wrong with NEC.
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Vaughan
Personally, I'd say you can't go wrong with NEC.
I'd agree with you for computer monitors - I've had several and always consider them in the top contenders. But I haven't been able to locate any NEC CRT reference video monitors - they've got some nice LCD panel units for broadcast and graphics applications but they're way up there in the $5,000 to $10,000 range.
Steve House is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software