Is the Marshall V-R70P-HDA really "HD?" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 4th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is the Marshall V-R70P-HDA really "HD?"

I've searched through these forums for the past few weeks and although there are a lot of user contributions about this monitor, my questions is simple (I think): how can a monitor that has a resolution of 800x480 be considered "HD?"

I've seen this monitor at a trade show and was impressed with it's color and luminance, but does it really work as a viable "HD" monitor? Is it a trade off because it's a "field" monitor and not the 17+inches that a 1080p or 720p monitor can deliver?

I just received by HVX200 and am in the market for a field/studio monitor. Does this one "really" suffice? Or should you use this one in the field and a much larger one in the studio? Right now I can't afford both.
Even the upcoming 8.4 inch version is only 800x600 pixals and that is becuase it's a 4:3 native monitor, vs. the 16:9 native of the 7 inch.

Questions...answer?
James Gleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Major Player

It's an HD monitor in terms of being able to accept a real HD signal and use high quality scaling to it's native 800x480 res. If you look at the difference between HD component into this monitor vs any of the older crappy 7" Standard Def LCDs, you're eyes will feel like you've washed a coat of jello off of them.

If you have the HVX200, you want this monitor OR better.
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Steev,

That's a good word. Do you feel that this monitor would double as a studio monitor as well? I'm not expecting it perform like a $4-5,000 HD monitor, but if it's more than capable as a dual use HD monitor, I'll go out and get it.

Also, I can't understand the manual's words on component out. Does the HVX200 NOT send a component signal out when it's hooked up via firewire? Is it simply a menu item to select? This camera is very deep and I'm just beginning to scratch the surface.
James Gleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gleason
Do you feel that this monitor would double as a studio monitor as well?
I think you may be dissapointed with it as a studio monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gleason
Does the HVX200 NOT send a component signal out when it's hooked up via firewire? Is it simply a menu item to select? This camera is very deep and I'm just beginning to scratch the surface.
Hmmm. I'll have to double check, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't monitor out the D-terminal while also capturing via firewire. I'm assuming that's what you're wanting to do.

I simply set the D-terminal to always output 1080i. It's what looks the best into the Marshall.
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

No, component output is disabled when using HD firewire input. No pass-thru component monitoring when HD firewire inputting.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, Barry. I was afraid of that. "That's why I couldn't figure it out." What are you using for a firewire output to HD monitoring situation? AJA, Blackmagic? I'm using a MacBookPro for my editing and want to make sure I can monitor HD.
James Gleason is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software