Adusting color bars on Dell 2405 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 13th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Adusting color bars on Dell 2405

Hi,

I currently have 1 2405 for my primary display, but was looking into getting a second 2405 for a secondary monitor and video out using Cineform.

Also, was wanting to use it as a production monitor with the c-stand setup posted on dvinfo.

I'm having a difficult time trying to adjust the 2405 with color bars. I can only find a HUE and SATURATION for user input settings.

What settings are other 2405 owners using and how happy are you with this monitor for video production purposes?

Thanks,

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Warden

Computer monitors do not make the best video monitors because of differences in color space, phosphors etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Wrangler

This might possibly be of interest: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64809

I've heard lots of good things about the 2405, but I never saw one until the Texas Shootout last weekend. We were using one of them as a framing reference monitor (so each of the 6 camera operators could get similar shots). It does look like a nice screen, and the image looked good. However when you compared it to the HD studio monitors in the same room it really was considerably different. Now I have no idea if anyone actually attempted to calibrate that monitor, but it seemed to lack contrast and saturation when compared to the 6 studio monitors. But probably not a terribly fair comparison when you consider the price difference, and anyway this is all just my own highly subjective impression.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Wrangler

You can't completely calibrate them.

My experience with them started over a year ago when I did a multicamera concert with FX-1s/Z1s, and had no way to perform the edit and monitor correctly.

I bought a 2405 to use with Final Cut as a "cinema desktop preview". I also used it to view footage directly from the camera using HD component. The gamma, black level and color tracking is just plain off on these monitors. Many of the HD-SDI->DVI adapters on the market make an attempt to get the monitor in the ballpark using lookup tables, but generally they just fall short.

The monitors are great for general framing reference, and for directors watching performance on set. DoPs can use them for framing and critical focus. Beyond that they're just cheap and plentiful. Accurate they're not.
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Major Player

The 2405 is a VERY bright monitor. If you're going in via DVI from an HDLink, like many of us, you cannot adjust many settings like saturation, brightness, etc. Therefore, it is very bright. I have yet to find a good way to adjust this, though you can a little bit using the HDLink Utility...but it's not very good.

I think the picture is amazing for $750-$900 range for a 24" native pixel to pixel monitor. It's probably not fair to compare it to an HD monitor that costs 2 or 3 times that amount.

If anyone figures out a way to adjust the settings on this monitor, please send them along. I emailed Black Magic and got no response about lookup tables or any way to adjust it.

Thanks.

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software