Varizoom VZ-TFT 7” 16:9 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:10 AM   #16
Major Player

Would it be correct to say then that the varizoom and nebtek, (sp?), etc., cam mounted monitors don't have the resolution that the NTSC monitors do like the one you've mentioned Eric?....I've seen the one you mention on BandH's site and plan to get one like that too. It would be great if there was something a bit smaller that had the same res and true color values, one that had a battery pack to use in the field.
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucinda Luvaas
Would it be correct to say then that the varizoom and nebtek, (sp?), etc., cam mounted monitors don't have the resolution that the NTSC monitors do like the one you've mentioned Eric?....I've seen the one you mention on BandH's site and plan to get one like that too. It would be great if there was something a bit smaller that had the same res and true color values, one that had a battery pack to use in the field.

LCD monitors can be high resolution (my Apple cinema displays proved that to me) but CRT's generally do a better job of delivering truer colors, rendering fast moving objects more clearly and are better in terms of being able to view them from more extreme angles.

I guess the main question anyone has to ask is what will I be shooting? If it's narrative stuff like short films, features, etc, then a field monitor is indispensable in my opinion. It's not to say that you won't be able to use both in these circimstances, but I think the CRT is more vital.

If you're run and gun, well, that speaks for itself. The LCD/TFT is your only option outside the camera's own monitor.

Since this thread began I actually was sold on the Varizoom TFT monitor that Joseph had mentioned. I think it delivers a decent image (though not quite as sharp as the Panasonic) and it came with a boat load of accessories plus no shipping and no tax from Brian over at ZotzDigital.

The Panasonic is still a great monitor, extremely bright and clear, but value and budget talked so I bought the Varizoom. I'm watching everything down to the last penny, here.

I also talked with EVS and found the JVC I mentioned is their no. 1 seller. They are out of stock and will be getting more in. Whatever I didn't put money wise into the LCD I'd rather put into the CRT.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #18
Major Player

[QUOTE=Eric Brown] Although the feature of a blue-only switch is nice if you want accurate color representation.

Return posting to my own post, here. The JVC does in fact have a blue switch.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks so much Eric! you're a big help.
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Both the TMH-150CGU and the TM-910SU have been in my rental dept for years, and neither has shown signs of even a mild shift after tens of rentals each. Great performers. I agree with all of Eric's statements, CRT is still the best choice for motion and color rendering. They both have 16:9, PAL/NTSC, and blue-check:

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/m...Code=TMH150CGU

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/m...t_Code=TM910SU

I am especially pleased with the VZTFT7 from varizoom for price and quality, that for around $500 you can have a complete kit with battery and mount. I set it side by side with several other more expensive monitors, and I was impressed with the results. It also does a flip for the 35mm adapters, and is extremely lightweight. Here are the links, but bear in mind Dvinfo members get a further discount.

http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/m...t_Code=VZTFT7U

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 04:26 PM   #21
Major Player

Ordered the varizoom LCD monitor from B&H and sent it back. We had hoped it would help with focusing issues with XL2 as well but found that in low light the image was just not good enough to use for focus reference. Probably will go with a small CRT now.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Since I got the 7" Nabtec Panosonic lcd, even though I was initially dissapointed with the resolution for focus, I don;t regret I invested in it. It still has been beneficial on shoots in the field. the Director I've worked with has found it valuable as well, especially for framing. For now, I've used a 13" tv with very good results when doing interior shots, mainly for better referance to color tempertures and exposure. Too bad it wasn;t 16:9. I still want to find the ideal field CRT monitor that has 4:3 & 16:9, along with Underscan, Blue Check, etc... AC & DC power, high resolution... Is there such a monitor with 700 lines of resolution that can be batteried powered, or can that amount of resolution only be powered by electrical power? And one that wouldn;t break the wallet?
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Need some advice, plz

I recently brought a Sony Z1E.
I'm used to work with a Betacam camcorder (lookin trought the BW viwefinder) and a 9" CRT Sony PVM-9041QM for framing.
The 9041 has 12v input and accepts NP1 batteries, but they last for a short period of time and it's heavy to walk around with it.

I'm looking for a 7" LCD and find on this forum some options.

I ask the opinion of the people that has used this models, some feedback.

-VARIZOOM VZ TFT7 w/ 480x234x3 for $400
-NEBTEK NEB 70 PRO LI w/ 480x234x3 for $1230 (With Sony batteries=Z1)
-MARSHALL V-R70DP w/ 800x480 for $875 (seems the best ?)

Obviusly the less money I spend the better, but...

1- For focusing is any of the LCD better than the 9041 ?
2- Do the batteries last longer that I would get with the NP1
3- What is the opinion of the people that uses this eq. ?

To spend $2K or $eK in an LCD is out of my pocket.

Sincerely
Carlos Manuel
Carlos Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #24
Sponsor: MicroSearch, iKan

ikan 7" LCD monitors

This is responds to some one who is looking for a good quality 7" LCD monitor mount on the XL2 camera. iKan make a perfect fit for their purpose. Retail for only $ 349, you can buy from B&H for less, it comes with everything that you need.
Kan Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:24 PM   #25
Major Player

Varizoom VZ-TFT 7” 16:9

Is there an advantage in using the 7” 16:9 monitor over the 5.6” 4:3 monitor with the XL2?
I will be using both formats, but mostly 16:9.

Thanks,
Bill
Old June 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM   #26
Major Player

the varizoom 7" is a widescreen monitor, so it will display the 16:9 picture properly in widescreen format. it also has a 4:3 display mode that puts black bars on each side. you can use the 5.6" 4:3 monitor, but the 16:9 image will appear squeezed on the 4:3 display.

another big plus for the 7", for some people, is that it has the capability of rotating the image 180 degrees, for use with 35mm adapters.

it definitely doesn't come close to a crt monitor for image quality, but it's picture is ok, especially compared to some other lcds out there.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:13 PM   #27
Major Player

Henry,

Thank your response was right on the mark. Just what I needed to know.
I was wondering about how it would handle 4:3, I could not find that answer on their site.

I see another one of DVIs sponsors also makes a 7: 16:9 monitor iKan.
Does any have experience with them?

Thank you,
Bill
Old June 1st, 2006, 05:44 PM   #28
Major Player

i used the ikan for a couple of days. it's a decent lcd for the price, but it's real problem was it's proprietary a/v out. there's a unique connector on the monitor that will only take the a/v cord that comes with the unit. the a/v cord itself has the proprietary connector on one end, and standard rca a/v jacks on the other. i found it way too long and unmanageable for camera mounting. it's a pretty massive cable, and there's no way to swap it out for something shorter. i honestly don't know what they were thinking -- all the video demos on their site have the monitor mounted on top of an xl1 with no sight of an eight foot cord (an exaggeration for sure, but that's what it seemed like).
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:33 PM   #29
Major Player

Henry,

Once again thank you, it will be the Varizoom 7” for me! :-)

Bill
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Do either of these monitors accurately display colors?

http://www.mikeberlucchi.com
Mike Berlucchi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software