Varizoom VZ-TFT 7” 16:9 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 1st, 2006, 09:17 PM   #31
Trustee

Depends on what you mean by accurate. If you mean 2^14 white bits then probably not :). Like any monitor, especially in that price range, it's going to have it's own color wheel. You'll have to adjust and calibrate. I doubt you're going to get an image that any colorist would be happy with though. Varizoom monitors don't have very good resolution or color reproduction, and the price reflects that.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 06:18 AM   #32
Major Player

In my case color is not an issue; I just want a larger view finder so I can see what I am doing. I could even do with the smaller less expensive 5.6” screen with squashed 16:9.
I will however go with the 7” 16:9 model.
For color and focus I have a Sony monitor that I travel with.

Thank you for all the helpful comments and options.
Bill
Old June 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM   #33
New Boot

I know what you mean about being able to see what your shooting. I bought 2 of the varizoom monitors for my XL-2s and i love them. I'm not so horribly concerned with color as to hual around a crt monitor, so these are wokring out prefect for what i need them for. Just being able to see what I'm filming. I've used them in the bright sun and witht he little velcro soft hood and still very happy. Its nice to get outside of the eyepiece when using my xl-2s now.
I have a shoot tomorrow of a live music event and it will be my first using these monitors. I will let ya know how i think they worked out in acutally use.
Daniel R Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM   #34
Major Player

Daniel,

Good luck with your shoot.
I sometimes do theatrical shows and coffee houses, I put my monitor next to the tripod for reference and I had borrowed a 5.6” Varizoom monitor to try. I was shooting 4:3 so it worked fine. Now I am shooting mostly 16:9 so the 7” monitor was the one I was interested in.

Which did you buy?
Let us know how the shoot went.

Bill
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:36 PM   #35
New Boot

Orginally ordered the 5.6". I always do 16:9 and crop in post to 4:3 so going wiht the 7" for me was a no brainer. Plus, its a few more inches to view.
Also....just for cool-look factor...bigger is better right? haha.
Daniel R Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 11:52 PM   #36
Inner Circle

bill, dan ?

Bill,

I am curious about your color monitor that you haul around with you!!!

I know lcds do not give the best color renditions. but the lcd is great for framing, is it good for focusing too??

for actual color I would like to know about your sony.

Dan, why do you shoot wide and then crop???
Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:31 AM   #37
Major Player

Dale,

If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is a URL worth? :-)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

This is the monitor I "lug" around as for focusing I think it is better with the larger LCD but better still with the CRT.

Bill
Old June 4th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #38
Major Player

The Monitor

To Whom it may concern: The only monitor out there worth buying is the Marshall V-R70P-HDA 7'' unless you only want a monitor for framing. The Varizoom will never give you reliable focus reference. There it is, I said it!
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Agree with Jaagdy.

Strictly talking about portable monitors here in that under 7" class

Unless budget is a constraint - the Marshall V-R70P-HDA 7'' (16:9) is top notch value. Just picked up one this week. About $1350 USD

I honestly don't know if a CRT in "that size range" would be a better option - they are quite heavy.
I have a few 9 inch Sony's (a few years old) and I still like feel the is HDA better. Color is very accurate
I do like CRT's - actually for my main studio display that i show to customers i use a Sony 30 inch HDTV CRT - that thing is amazing (I didn't like the lcd's in that size). I don't know if it was the scalers or what in those - the picture just not right - comes out a bit crusty - blacks/contrast were pretty soft and mushy.

For simple framing and general color - any 16:9 LCD portable should be ok.
The Marshall 480x240's should be a decent choice - I have a 70P too.
Not in the same class as the HDA resolution wise -though but still pretty good color wise.

I saw a Varizoom 7" 16:9 at a local shop today and i'm not impressed.
I own a 4:3 Varizoom LCD too and the picture is terrible coming from my z1u. From my dvcam 4:3 output its reasonable. I have had to repair that monitor twice because the AV plug (mini) came loose (internal soldering) right in the middle of a shoot.

The Marshalls are built like a tank - the Varizooms are not meant to take too much abuse.

Again - as some people have pointed out - sometime you just need something for framing - larger viewfinder - in that case anything should do.
If budget is an issue - I'd try the Xenarc at a minimum - with the 800x480 screen for good focus.

Cheers
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Just curious ... how is the built in viewfinder on the XL2 for gauging color? I don't have my camera yet but I have been looking at small lcd monitors as I don't think I will like having my face pressed into the viewfinder all the time. I plan to shoot mostly nature (landscape where I live is full of cool lakes all along the Alabama River), maybe a few "fun" music videos for friends' bands and such.

While the comments about the Marshall made me think twice, I also thought that for that price ($1300-$1500) you could get a new laptop and DVRack software (adding the features of DVRack with hard disk recording). The problem here (laptop/DVRack) is that it is more gear to lug around and setup if you are constantly on the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamell
Henry,

Once again thank you, it will be the Varizoom 7” for me! :-)

Bill
I am very curious to know your true thoughts on this after you get a chance to use it a bit.

Seems I may need to re-plan my budget if the onboard viewfinder doesn't reproduce accurate color and focus and the Varizoom is really that bad.
Achtung! Das camera ist nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken. Das camera ist diggen by experten only. Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.
Chris Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #41
Major Player

the xl2's stock viewfinder is the camera's weak point IMHO. colors are on the dull, washed-out side, and it's tough to use where critical focus is required. the b&w crt viewfinder is far sharper, and has a knob to control peak (for focus assistance). once you have the fu1000 on the camera, you will probably never want to take it off again. of course, you lose color.

i think the cheap portable lcd monitor like the varizoom is getting a little bid of a bad rep in this thread. it's an inexpensive, useful tool for what it is -- for framing your shots and general color, and it can be had for around 350 bucks. i haven't seen the hd marshall and can't speak to that, but if accurate colors and critical focus in the field are absolutely essential to you, i can't imagaine any lcd would be better than a small portable crt monitor, like an 8" sony or jvc, a portabrace case, and some batteries to provide power.

Last edited by Henry Cho; June 17th, 2006 at 06:06 PM.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #42
Major Player

Daniel,

What is a "velcro soft hood?" and where do you get one?

"I've used them in the bright sun and witht he little velcro soft hood and still very happy."
Lucinda Luvaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 05:31 PM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucinda Luvaas
What is a "velcro soft hood?" and where do you get one?

"I've used them in the bright sun and witht he little velcro soft hood and still very happy."

Use the words sun hood and you might get some answers in B&H's site.

Velcro soft hood is a generic name to describe a sun hood which you put over your camera LCD screen after you open it. I got mine when I bought my PDX10 camera, and it works fine. It's also a great help, both indoors and outdoors.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM   #44
Tourist

Varizoom VZ-TFT7U 7 inch Monitor for Sale

I noticed people talking about this monitor on the site just as I'm about to sell mine. We used it for the last two days of shooting a feature film (would have used it for the entire thing but it was shipped to us late). Therefore, it is essentially in brand new condition, having been used for a total of about 5 hours.

Please see the link below for product specs, etc.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

The monitor worked quite well. Our company is about to switch equipment, however, and won't need it any longer. Please feel free to contact me with a reasonable offer. I can send photos to any person with a serious inquiry.

Thanks.
Nevus Lotesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #45
Major Player

Can the varizoom vz-tft7 7" flip the image upside down for 35mm adapters?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software