Calibrating Monitors - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:44 AM   #31
Inner Circle

http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Need help with NTSC Monitor....

Hi everyone,
I've just got the Sony PVM 14L2 monitor and tried to calibrate the monitor using the instruction on this website:

http://www.indianapolisfilm.net/article.php?story=20040117004721902

I've got to the very last part, but then I couldn't adjust the Hue to get the result like the last picture on that site. I got pretty close to it, except I couldn't see the little blue bar at the bottom right, no matter what I try. So, I ignored it and went on to editing.

But then I realized that the picture on my TV (which is looped through the PVM 14L2, which is connected to my VCR. And the VCR is connected to my little digital camera connected to the computer via firewire) is really bad compared to what is on the PVM 14L2. I'm saying this because I've got a closeup shot of a girl and her skin isn't very soft. However, when I look on my PVM, her skin doesn't look as bad as it is on the TV. This is really weird because if I base my color correcting on the PVM, then when people watch it at their home, the image's gonna be really bad. Isn't the picture on the PVM suppposed to be "truer" than it is on TV? Please advice. Maybe I did something wrong in calibrating my monitor?
Tony Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #33
Major Player

Sorry, Tony, but your grammar has me a bit confused. Anyway, here is a link to Syntetic Aperture, where they have an excellent download on monitor set-up: http://www.synthetic-ap.com/tips/calibrate.pdf
They also have accurate color bars you can download for FREE.

Wayne Orr, SOC
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Thanks Wayne for the link and excuse my English. But can you let me know which part confused you? Thanks.
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #35
Major Player

"But then I realized that the picture on my TV (which is looped through the PVM 14L2, which is connected to my VCR. And the VCR is connected to my little digital camera connected to the computer via firewire) is really bad compared to what is on the PVM 14L2."

What is "really bad," Tony? The camera, vcr, or the picture on the TV? If the picture on the TV is really bad, why are you using it?

Hopefully you have the monitor connected to the S-video of the camera. That would be best.

" I'm saying this because I've got a closeup shot of a girl and her skin isn't very soft. However, when I look on my PVM, her skin doesn't look as bad as it is on the TV. " ????? On the front of the monitor, there should be a control for "sharpness" or some such. Be sure that is in the detent, or about mid-range.
Also, check for a similar setting on the TV controls, and be certain it is set mid-range. "Sharpness" is not a function of normal monitor set-ups. If your monitor is set correctly, I would not pay too much attention to the TV. And hopefully you are using SMPTE split field bars for your set-up. Yes? They are included in that FREE app from Sythetic Ap.

Wayne
Old March 11th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I'm sorry, Wayne. Let's me try to explain the problem one more time.

I preview my work on the Sony PVM using firewire connected to my little camera Sony DSR-38. I also use the output in my PVM to get the picture on the standard TV. So now I have 2 monitors (my Sony PVM and the standard TV) connected to the same source. This is where the problem begins. The image on my sony PVM is a little softer than the image on the standard TV. For example, I have a CU of a girl on both monitors. On the PVM, her skin is a little softer, and it's really hard to see any wrinkles on her face. However, on the standard TV, her skin looks sharper, and I can see all the wrinkles clearly. Can you explain this? Thanks.

By the way, I did reset all the settings on my standard TV and put the sharpness to the midrange. I also calibrate my monitor using the SMPTE color bars.

One more thing, someone once told me that my problem might be related to the black level my little camera output and that getting a DV transcoder with the add setup might solve my problem. What do you think about this? Thanks.

Hope it makes sense this time.
Old March 11th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #37
Major Player

OK, Tony, now I get it. However, I'm afraid I don't have a good explanation for what is happening here, except that often TV sets have the sharpness turned up quite high at the factory, so you don't notice as they begin to die with old age. This, of course, assumes that your pro monitor is in good working order. Have you used it before, and know it to be accurate, or did you just purchase it recently? Does it look sharp on other material with fine detail? You can get find a resolution chart on the web with instructions for using it to see if your monitor is resolving as it should be.

The other way to go would be to lay off to tape the material you are concerned about and play it back on a friend's TV that you feel is in good working order.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:01 AM   #38
Trustee

How To set Up A Monitor W/O Color Bars

How do I set up a location monitor without color bars/pluge pattern since my Sony PD 170 doesn't have the pluge pattern to correctly set up brightness and contrast?
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #39
Inner Circle

From your editing program, record bars and tone (with pluge bars) onto DV tape.

Most programs give you correct bars... double check on the scopes in your editing program.
Old March 15th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #40
Wrangler

You could also burn them to a memory stick on your PD 170. They would be scaled down to 640x480 but that shouldn't matter a lot for what you want....

Doing it on tape is a good idea too - have done that myself. Only problem is you need to remember to put them on all your tapes, or you have to swap tapes, etc.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #41
Trustee

Boyd? Glen? Why in hell didn't I think of that? May I say that you two guys are my new heroes? I am calling Rick Bravo right now and telling him that he's no longer my hero. You two knocked him out of the box.

For shame, Rick Bravo! Not answering my call for help! Harummph!

One more question: Does Vegas 5 have true SMPTE color bars? That's what I use. Also, how do I double check the color bars/pluge pattern on my scopes?
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #42
Inner Circle

Hmm maybe it isn't worth it to check color bars on scopes. Vegas 5 does have proper SMPTE color bars. To setup the scopes properly:
Click on the "Scope Settings" button (in the video scopes window) and check both "7.5IRE Setup" and "Studio RGB (16 to 235)" for North American NTSC DV; japan is different). Read the manual if you're unclear on what settings to use.

Once you have the video scopes setup properly, the pluge bars should read "3.5", "7.5", and "11.5". Vegas doesn't give precise values like that on the scopes but you get the point.

If you have faith that the bars are right (like I do), then just do it. Checking on scopes just adds complication and you may not even be sure they are right.

This information does not apply to Vegas 4 and before.

2- Hopefully this doesn't confuse you more:
When you calibrate the monitor to your PD170 you may want to watch out for the 7.5IRE setup issue. DV digital values range from 0-255, and the blackest black is supposed to be 16 (not 0). 16 (digital) is supposed to translate to 7.5IRE (analog) during the digital--> analog conversion. Some equipment puts 16 (digital) at 0IRE which is improper. Your PD170 may do this, or it may have a setting to switch between 0 and 7.5IRE.

If you are calibrating before you shoot then this isn't an issue at all (you can say your blackest blacks are at 0IRE, 7.5IRE, or anything else you'd like). If you would like to avoid giving problems to the people who will use the equipment next, then leave a note or something saying they should re-calibrate the monitor.
Old March 19th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Thanks Wayne, it's a brand new monitor from B&H. The last option is okay, although that would kill the point of having NTSC monitor.
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Monitor switches & calibration question

Hi all,

Looks like there aren't too many people using the JVC TM-90PSN monitor! (see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41281).

I was given mine second hand with no user guide.

I guess that many of the switches are common to other monitors. I wonder if anyone could explain what the following switches are for and when they should be used:

SKEW (on / off)
DISC SW (auto / 50Hz)
75ohm SWITCHED OUT/OPEN BRIDGE OUT

Regarding calibration, I can display PAL colour bars on the monitor through my XM2, but what do I calibrate against? Is it just done by eye? I understand there are various calibration devices and scopes available but in the absence of these, is there an alternative method?

Any advice welcomed with open arms. Thanks.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
75ohm SWITCHED OUT/OPEN BRIDGE OUT
I believe this is what happens:
If you want to daisy-chain monitors, then by taking 75 ohm resistance out you will be able to daisy-chain without weaker signal strength.

Not too sure what the two other functions are.

2- Monitor calibration:

The following two links have some information on this, although they apply more to NTSC/North America:
http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

http://www.synthetic-ap.com/tips/calibrate.pdf (PDF)
http://www.synthetic-ap.com/tips/index.html

I find that even if you calibrate your monitor to color bars, the colors can still be whacked. Monitors shift colors as they age, and room lighting conditions can affect your eye's white balance and there can be glare on the screen (block light with your hands to test that).

*some monitors have a feature in their menu which lets you feed color bars to it and it will auto-calibrate itself. I don't know if this works with PAL.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software