Field Monitors - NTSC TV or LCD Computer Screen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old October 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #1
Tourist

Field Monitors - NTSC TV or LCD Computer Screen?

Hey folk, I'm exploring what to use as a monitor for an upcoming shoot.

Considering using a regular NTSC flat screen TV monitor, or a LCD flat screen Computer monitor. What is the difference between these two options?

One I guess calibrates to NTSC, the other to ... what? What ever color space and gamma you decide I guess, can a computer monitor be set up for faithful NTSC representation also?

Your thoughts? Any specific low budget product recommendations?
Malcolm Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #2
Trustee

I myself use a consumer plasma tv. Really, use what ever gives you the most bang for the buck. However, I just don't know if a regular ntsc monitor will have the resolution you need to really judge your footage acurately. Certainly there are many lap tops, particularly the newer ones (including the newest mac lap top), that feature Hi-def resolution. Assuming you're using the JVC100, you don't need any more resolution than the camera can generate (don't need a set higher than 720).

The cool thing about using a consumer plasma (I use a 50" Zenith), it also doubles as a way to impress clients, show the films, et al. Not very portable, but I shoot the vast majority of my stuff in my studio or close to it. But the smaller ones are relatively cheap and portable. Not quite professional, because you can't truly calibrate the blacks, etc, but it WILL let see if your stuff is in focus, framed correctly, and basically the right color. Apple lap top's have pretty good color calibration.... Although the reality is that you're probably better off doing any final color correction in a true post suite.

I think it depends on how much heavy use that your using the monitor for - ie, every week day for the next year, or on the next 6 weekends? If heavy use, a pro monitor might very well be worth it.... Good luck -

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #3
DVi Contributor

You probably won't like either one for very long if you do field work. Monitors take more abuse in the field than any other item. Our pro monitors get sent in for work all the time. and they are built for heavy use. concider the fact that consumer screens will probably fail twice as fast as pro monitors. so the cost savings may not really be there.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software