westinghouse 37" or 42" 1080s ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 17th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Major Player

westinghouse 37" or 42" 1080s ?

Anyone seen one of these . They're getting down into my price range , i.e. the cheapest 1080 lcds I know of . Comments ? thanks
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #2
Trustee

I have the 42" 1080P Westy hooked up as the preview monitor for clients at my edit suite. It looks great, MUCH better for video preview than the Dell 24" but the dell is a better COMPUTER monitor...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Ash - I read in a lowend review that the component was not near as good as the dvi input . Since I too would like one for a video monitor rather that computer monitor then component in is a big deal if it's lower quality. But from your response this might not be the case , or ?
Old November 18th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I have the 37, love it for movies, but those people who are comparing input qualities are spot on. The dvi quality over component is quite good as long as the source material is not terribly compressed. Also, the internal up-rezzing circuitry is not the strongest I've ever seen, so when watching standard composite material, it looks....like crap. Basically, as I see it, the price difference between this screen and a higher-priced screen is in the scaling circuitry. If you feed it a picture at its rez, it looks gorgeous. Also make sure to REALLY take the time to calibrate it.
Jaron Berman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Jaron - how do you think a dvd played out thru dvi would look - I assume you're playing thru component ? I play vga out to my 1024x768 projector , and it looks better than outboard scaled component . And the obvious question is , have you played sony hdv thru it , or another 1080 hdv ? What types of materials have looked the best ? thanks
Old November 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #6
Major Player

...or are you playing sd dvd's thru a scaling player w/ hdmi out ?
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software