JVC Monitor - white and black balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 19th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC Monitor - white and black balance

Hello,

I just recieved a JVC TM-1500PS monitor from a friend of mine I can use. The only problem is that the colour are a bit offset (the image is much more greener than it is supposed to be. He said it could be fixed by tuning up and balancing white and black balance inside the monitor, however he does not know how to do that because he never did that.

Could you please give me some examples how this should be done? I know they do this in services, but JVC service is far away from where I live, so the postage costs would be very high, plus some payment for tuning up an old monitor like this.. I would prefer to do this myself, if it is possible.

Thanks for suggestions,
Martin
Martin Polach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Does the monitor have gain and bias controls?
*Gain controls are sometimes called userRGB or "user" color temperature.

Tweak the gain or color temperature controls so that the monitor is in the ball park of D65 (or 6500). You want all your monitors (computer and video monitors) to have the exact same white point, and in the ballpark of D65. You can display white on all your monitors and try to match the white points as best as possible.

Then adjust the bias controls. Display a black & white image on your monitor (make sure it's B&W by de-saturating it). Preferably use a real world image representative of your work. Then eyeball the bias controls until you minimize the color cast.

2- On old CRTs, you may not be able to completely get rid of the color casts.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software