Samsung 19in at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 21st, 2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Samsung 19in

just grabbed one of these on sale at BestBuy for $399.
HD-grade 1440 x 900 pixel resolution.
It has component/DVI input and looks great.
for $399 you can't go wrong.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1149208575454
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 03:16 PM   #2
New Boot

I used one of these on a client shoot a month ago with an HVX...it was...OK. I'll probably end up with a Marshall 7" that I can attach to the camera.
Mike McNeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McNeese
I used one of these on a client shoot a month ago with an HVX...it was...OK. I'll probably end up with a Marshall 7" that I can attach to the camera.
The samsung has no DC option, but a great pix res, size and price.
I've seen those 7" Marshalls and while they are nice and compact, and good for monitoring color, they are too low res for focus use which is critical with HD. The current Marshall is only 800 × 480 and about 1/3 the size of the samsung < not to mention 5X the price >
Marshall has a new model due next month that is 8.4in and 1024 x 768 at close to $4K retail.
My suggestion was more focused towards $$ and usability...
Old November 22nd, 2006, 08:57 AM   #4
Trustee

I've read that the 7" marshalls were pixel for pixel on the internal scaling and good enough for focus, (including from various posters). Did you actually see that for yourself? Curious as I'm going to make a purchase.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

yes... just IMO of course. I found that with the marshall and a larger higher res lcd hooked up together, that you could dial in perfect focus on the larger
but had to feel/guess the small amount needed for a tight image witht eh marshall.< and it is expected for the size/res > It wouldn't
be an issue for SD, but I could not trust it for focus in the field.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks Brian, this is counter to what I've read, and not sure if from actual users or heresay. Maybe these others were comparing to the usual 250 Hz rez SD stuff out there. Focus is an issue in the field with these HDV cameras, and it's from all the camera's I've rented/tested, the LCD and focus is the weak issue.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software