Bravia X Seies - Giant Rear Pro LCD or Normal LCD?? - Advice needed... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old November 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Bravia X Seies - Giant Rear Pro LCD or Normal LCD?? - Advice needed...

Hello all,

I'm finally going to get a monitor that will allow me to watch my Z1 footage without squashing it.

And I've got my heart set on a Bravia (though I am open to other suggestions).

The new X Series of Bravia (the full 1080p screens) come in differend sizes of course, but they also come in different formats. You can get standard LCD TVs that are 40", 46" and 52", or you can get Rear-Projection LCD screens as high as 60" or 70".

And believe it or not, the larger Rear-Pro screens are cheaper than the 52" LCD.

Why? The dude in the TV store said it's because the Rear-Pro screens are extremely heavy and ridiculously sized and you can't wall mount them. The normal LCD screens are slim and easily portable and can be mounted pretty well anywhere.

Is that it? Other rear-projection TVs look crap but I've seen one of the Bravia 70" screens playing SWAT on a Blu-Ray player and I thought it was brilliant. I walked right up to the screen and it still looked brilliant.

So I guess I want someone who knows more than I do to sort of summarize which is better or whether it's just personal choice (which is what the TV store dude said; he said he'd go with a Rear-Projection LCD any day just because he liked them better). And if possible, I'd like to know what the technological differences/advantages are between them.

Thanks very much!
John Hewat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software