Anyone view new JVC broadcast monitors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 9th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone view new JVC broadcast monitors?

I have pre-ordered a DT-V20L1U and am still waiting for the thing to ship.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare one to the Panasonic BT series- or just has an opinion at all.

Just seems like the JVC monitors have flown under the radar as there has been zero chatter about them.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Pretty much the same specs as my 22" gateway as far as rez and 1:1 pixel mapping, component and DVI (HCDP complaint). Of course were comparing consumer to pro.

I'm curious as to what panel JVC is using, and if it provides production accurate colors, that would justify the extra $2000 in price, (including blue, bars and manual calibration settings, etc.).

I didn't even consider the JVC and went with a Sony LMD for their attached media engine and HD-SDI input card. (Had I known about the JVC, I might have taken a closer look, especially in favor of a one-piece design vs. the LMD).

I can tell you however, that there is a difference between a consumer panel and these professional displays. I was a little skeptical about spending as much for and "LCD", especially a 17" at that. Now I drag it to my shoots, and everyone whom passes by it stops and stares. It's like looking through a window.

Share us your experiences when you get that in.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

1- IMO, the Sony Luma series LCDs aren't that great. The old PVW series and BVM monitors are better buys.

I haven't seen that many of the other LCDs out there, other than the eCinemasys stuff (which puts the Lumas to shame, and cost several times more).

2- In my opinion, some of the problems with LCDs right now are:
A- Not having 1:1 pixel capability. You want at least 1920X1080 pixels to have full resolution, and to avoid scaling artifacts.
B- Lower black level would be better.
C- Wacky colors. Some LCDs just don't look right / don't look much like other manufacturer's broadcast monitors, CRT or LCD.
The ecinemasys panels more or less address those shortcomings.
D- Don't display interlacing correctly. For SD work, it is difficult to spot interlace flicker. This is inherent to LCDs.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #4
Wrangler

I've been a detractor of LCDs for a long time now, but today I bought a Pana BT-LH1700 for my XDCAM...my previous field monitor was a 9" BVM HD, but the HD-SDI card for that is over $2k.

Putting the Pana on top of my JVC 20" HD CRT monitor was an eye-opener. I knew the black levels on the Pana were not quite right (because I'd worked with it before), but the Pana is SO close to the JVC, so very very close, it's moot. I was very, very surprised.

In addition, the Pana at 1280x768 is slightly higher in resolution than the JVC, and that's saying something, because the JVC viewed by itself is really impressive in it's phosphor pitch.

Couple things I learned today:

1-Some of the better LCDs are so close, even though they're not quite right, they're more than close enough.

2-Resolution in a LCD panel isn't everything. The Panasonic's features and performance level more than make up for the fact that it's not 1:1.
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Has anyone used one of the new JVC DT-V series monitors? I'm looking at either one of those or the Panasonic Nate just got.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Dykmans
Has anyone used one of the new JVC DT-V series monitors? I'm looking at either one of those or the Panasonic Nate just got.
That we are.

We just received the 24" JVC DT-V24L1DU today from our rep. The first thing I did was plug it into the BlackMagic Multibridge Pro via SDI/HD, to monitor and do a little cutting in FCP. I tried actually getting some work done by editing footage that we shot a month ago from the JVCHD250/SDI... but didn't get a @#$% thing done the rest of the day!

Don't blame the monitor, I simply didn't get anything done because I spent the rest of the day geeking over image quality, controls, the abundance of inputs and JVC's forward thinking design (love the stand). Its a solid hefty bugger, very well made and built for use. It's as close to using a tube as any LCD can match, at least one that I have yet to see.

I don't have the Panasonic Pro LCD monitor handy to compare directly, but I have used the Panasonic (I can get the model # in the morning) and the impression that I was left with (although good) was nothing near what I have seen from JVC's new top of the toy list.

All joking and pseudo hype aside, it's fantastic monitor. JVC has done an excellent job here. I'll post some pictures and if requested I'll test what I can (in between work... and getting chewed for not working) if anyone wants some actual specs.

Peace!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Jvc Dt-v20l1du

Hi Daniel:

I received the 20" version of the same monitor a few days ago and I can only second your opinion. I have only had the time to briefly view a few short clips from my HD 250 U and I must say that the monitor is impressive. The ability to connect via SDI, from a Kona LH breakout box, is a great benefit as well.
I will probably add further accolades as time goes by.
Ron
Ronald Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Well I've had the 20 inch for about two weeks now and wish I had a Panny to do some comparisons- in time I suppose.

Very solid build- very nice pro look.

Monitoring footage from GY-HD200 is stunning- showing all glaring shortcomings of this cameraman.

Colors match my broadcast CRT, which I can't say for my computer LCD monitor.

Standard def looks like crap but is really not an issue for me.

I really like having a DVI-D input becuase we plan on purchasing Decklink Studio (HDMI & component) which should play together nicely. We can also monitor raw footage using the JVC BR-HD50U's HDMI.

The only shortcoming I can report is the monitors lack of wide viewing angle. Viewing from the side or above produces an undesireably brighter, washed out picture. Anyone else notice this?
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software