Marshall 10.4in Mounting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 10th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Marshall 10.4in Mounting

I recently bit the bullet and purchased Marshall's beautiful 10.4in V-R104DP-HDSDI. I also purchased a Noga arm rated for 9 lbs (Noga DG-1105). But I'm having a heck of a time getting the arm tight enough to truly support the monitor (only 5.5 lbs)(no battery mounted).
I have it screwed into a 1/4-20 mount on my plate, and that's enough of a challenge keeping it screwed in and solid. The monitor is still not fully stable and prone to flopping over - and that's scary for such a beautiful piece of equipment.
Are there any tricks I should read about somewhere?

Last edited by Matthew Roddy; January 10th, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Trustee

These monitors are very heavy due to having metal boxes, and really are meant for racks and editing in the field. I have the 7" and find it tad too heavy as the noga just holds it. Did your noga come with a lock washer? Did you wrench that on? You can get some 'removeable' locktite thread locker at local parts store. This will help, but will take a wrench to break it loose (the permament locktite will require a blow torch).

These two bogen clamps (used together) will give you options for heavy mounting:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cessory_detail
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Peter.
Thanks for the msg.
Where does that 155 mount? And thanks for those links.
I've got the Noga to work, but it's a bit scary. I'd be devistated (financially) if it gave way and let the monitor fall.
You're right, the 10.4 is SUPPOSED to be rack mounted, but I've heard of folk using it in the manour I am trying. I thought I would just have to stumble upon the right formula of securing it for me to use for focus and composition.

I don't wrench it on, but that will probably be the next step. Still, the main problem is the ball joints. I just can't get the knob/nut to lock down well enough to make that secure.

I ALMOST got the 7in, but thought for only a few hundred more, I could get the added resolution of this one and size. I only faintly thought of the drawbacks - just the positives.
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #4
Trustee

I understand, I was tempted to get the 10" model myself. However, I opted for a 17" Sony LMD for desktop, more practical features. I couldn't see using anything larger than the 7" for handheld/should rig.

If the noga is not holding it, they may have larger models (you might have one rated for the 7"), I'd check on that and do an exchange if so. BTW, are you mounting it from the side? I'd only use the noga from the top or bottom.

You could use the clamps I've mentioned to mount the monitor directly to the handle, just behind the tranport controls cover. That would do for straight up on a tripod for the 7". However, the 10" may prove too heavy, and you should look into mounting the monitor directly to either the tripod. With the right clamps you could mount it on the tripod grip handle.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Peter.
The Noga is rated for 9lbs. The monitor is only 5.5 w/out battery.
I've never liked mounting straight to a tripod, but that may be the right solution in this case.

Thanks again.
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

solution for heavy monitor

If you attach this Bogen plate system on your camera it provides a 3/8" screw mount sideways at a right angle here is the link: http://www.evsonline.com/merchant2/m...egory_Code=4B2
Then I would recomend getting some "Lock-tite" thread locker and screw in a nice 3/8" ball mount adapter like this one:http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.n...manprob30.html
If you need to arm it out further then another extension bogen will do it.
Here is also a really beefy arm with a mafer clamp allowing you to clamp to the tripod head possibly; http://cinemasupplies.stores.yahoo.net/grmobr.html
- or you might be able to take off the mafer clamp and screw it into the rig above. The key is thread lock and big balls (you know what I mean).
Keith Gruchala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software