Apple TV for wireless monitoring? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old January 9th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple TV for wireless monitoring?

Can I use the new Apple TV to connect to the HD100 component to a HD monitor and watch the live shot?
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Great question, Brian. At $299, I hope Apple TV will work like that.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Can I use the new Apple TV to connect to the HD100 component to a HD monitor and watch the live shot?
I don't really understand what you mean. Apple TV is a media player that syncs with your iTunes. I'm not even sure if it will play mpeg2, since Apple uses H264 or MP4 for its downloaded movie files.
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

While listening to Steve Jobs, I saw component inputs and 802.11 b/g/n. Maybe there's a way to rig it so that it can broadcast live output (maybe not full rez quality but at least crew members can watch the live shot)? I think this may be what Brian is thinking about.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David
While listening to Steve Jobs, I saw component inputs and 802.11 b/g/n. Maybe there's a way to rig it so that it can broadcast live output (maybe not full rez quality but at least crew members can watch the live shot)? I think this may be what Brian is thinking about.
Those are component OUTPUTS.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/connect.html
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Those are component OUTPUTS.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/connect.html
I can always hope. If it allows live streaming from the computer to a TV there has to be a way to use the camera's firewire to go either directly to the Apple TV or through a laptop first. It would be worth it to look into.
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David
Yep. The wireless connecters I see that will transmit pretty decent distance are over $2500 and not even HD. This seems to transmit HD and is only $395. I'm sure soemone will be able to rig it to work.
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #8
Major Player

I thought of something that might work. I have seen people connect their camera directly to a laptop and get a live signal. There has to be a way to then transmit that to the Apple TV, maybe through a small Computer such as the Mac Mini, and then to a HD monitor. I cannot tell you what a help that would be. Right now I am running long cables from the camera, hindering my mobility, to a HD monitor. I Dont trust the HD100 monitor, or even a 7". I only use 23" for focus and image, especially because I use the Mini35.
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Is there a Component to DVI cable available anywhere?
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #10
Major Player

We Europeans can't get out hands on this for a while, so why don't you buy one and do some tests for us?? LOL

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Setnes
Is there a Component to DVI cable available anywhere?
You would use a HDMI to DVI connector or cable for LCD displays that only have DVI.
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
I thought of something that might work. I have seen people connect their camera directly to a laptop and get a live signal. There has to be a way to then transmit that to the Apple TV, maybe through a small Computer such as the Mac Mini, and then to a HD monitor. I cannot tell you what a help that would be. Right now I am running long cables from the camera, hindering my mobility, to a HD monitor. I Dont trust the HD100 monitor, or even a 7". I only use 23" for focus and image, especially because I use the Mini35.
Brian,

So your goal is to somehow use Wi-Fi to transmit a live feed from the camera to a monitor?
Unfortunately, there really is no good way to do this digitally.
The major problem with this idea is that there will be latency of probably almost 1 second due to the mpeg2 encoding and firewire transmission, before the data is even transmitted.

Keep in mind that the AppleTV as it is sold is only a media player that can interface with iTunes, which uses MP4 and H264, not Mpeg2 TS. Since it has a USB2 port I would assume that a keyboard can be connected and it could be hacked to boot OS X and run other apps. If this is so, let's assume that the AppleTV is essentially a mac mini without an optical drive, and we can use any software we want.

So what software could we use to do what you want? Well, the datarate of Firewire is too high to transmit wirelessly, but if you used a Macbook or PC laptop running DVRack or an NLE capture utility plugged into the camera, you could then connect via wi-fi to a mac mini or hacked AppleTV running remote desktop/Timbuktu to watch the screen. Keep in mind that the frame rate would be very low due to the way remote desktop scans the screen and transmits still images as quickly as the bandwidth will allow.

The best bet really would be use microwave HD transmission which would be very very expensive, but give you real-time full resolution wireless that would transmit very long distances.

http://www.rfcentral.com/products.shtml

http://www.bms-inc.com/product_digitalcofdm.htm

http://www.nucomm.com/pdf/041_datasheet.pdf

http://www.mrcbroadcast.com/products_core/mobile.html

Attached is a photo I took at NAB06 of the HD250 and a BMS microwave transmitter.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple TV for wireless monitoring?-microwave2.jpg  
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #13
Regular Crew

From what I can gather the Apple TV box just transfers (or streams on the fly) files over a standard wireless network. I guess theoretically if it can play MPEG2 then it could be playing back the same m2t stream you're saving to a laptop via HDVrack or something... but I doubt it would work very well (if at all). Certainly wouldn't be in sync.

In any case that solution doesn't really require an Apple TV box per se - just two wireless network devices, one that can handle capturing video and one that can handle playing it back (such as two laptops).
Shaun Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #14
Major Player

...but I could convert my HD movies to H.264 and stream them to the Apple TV to watch on my HDTV.

Am I correct in thinking this?

HD-DVD/Blue Ray DVD players not readily available in the UK and the prices are too high - I have no way of viewing any footage in HD from my HD100.

The apple TV might be a way to achive this.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
So your goal is to somehow use Wi-Fi to transmit a live feed from the camera to a monitor?
Correct.

Quote:
The major problem with this idea is that there will be latency of probably almost 1 second due to the mpeg2 encoding and firewire transmission, before the data is even transmitted.
Any latency is okay. All I doing is using the wireless monitor to follow the action when on tracks, steadicam, jib etc. And I would use it to make sure its in focus and proper lighting. Unfortunatley now I am running 100ft component cables from the HD100 to a HD monitor now, which can be risky ona set with people stepping on the cables and like I said hinders my mobility. Most wireless I have seen with steadicam operators are DV signal and isn;t very good.

Also, I record AUDIO seperate to a laptop, so syncing sound isn't an issue either as I listen to sound seperately.

I was under the impression that the Apple TV transfer HD, but I am not that technical with this, so what Do I know.

My goal is just to be able to monitor what we shoot BEFORE we shoot it and during the shoot. AND within a reasonable distance. It may be unrealistic or way to costly for me to archeive, but .....when you wish upon a star, your dreams come true...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software